thirty five - got to keep the promise

-

-

"late, and not ashamed about it either!"

that was the greeting they got from their teacher, who was already in the latter half of his lesson; and the class' third lesson of the day, right before break, when they walked into class that morning.

knowing they would be late for school either way, the group of friends decided to stop for breakfast before heading to school. they had just walked, no, waltzed into class causing heads to shoot up at the sound of the late-comers.

so there they were, getting lectured on the importance of punctuality. their teacher had his back to the class, and after catching the bright mischievous eyes of their classmates, taehyun winked.

at his cue, the class stood up slowly, taking care to not scrape their chairs as much as possible. it was a simple task really, the man was so engrossed in his fifth tale of how punctuality had benefitted him as a student that he would not so much as flinch if a troll bearing a huge club lumbered in and started smashing the windows.

once they saw that their class had emptied, beomgyu let out an audible sigh.

"am i boring you?" the teacher asked, as if daring him to agree.

"yeah, i want to go for break." beomgyu replied lazily, "oh, that's perfect timing."

the bell rang at that moment, but there was no stopping the teacher as he finished up his story on why one should always aim to reach at least half an hour earlier.

"this brings me to my point on responsibility, where you made the entire class miss their break!" he finished off grandly, spreading his arms as he turned on the class.

he was greeted with empty desks and a deafening silence. the group of them tried to contain their giggles, not wanting to risk missing the whole of break. a particularly loud noise—somewhere between a cough and a giggle, exploded from seulgi and that was all it took.

"no break for the whole lot of you!" their teacher was embarrassed and furious, "i'll be setting you extra problems, and i want them turned in by the end of the period."

it took him only five minutes to leave and return with a stack of papers in his hands. soobin groaned, he absolutely detested math. he joined the rest of the group as they threw dirty looks at seulgi, who merely shrugged. of course she did not mind, she was good at math.

an entire paper, and to be handed in by the end of the period? that was the most inhumane thing anyone had ever done to him, other than that one time taehyun had - nevermind.

mumbling curses under their breaths, the group of friends set to work in silence, punctuated only by furious cancelling followed with a frustrated yell each time they messed up a question.

"the girls never let us copy off them, and we can't even copy off soobin this time," hueningkai complained, "he's smart but he sucks ass at math."

"you still scored lower-"