thirty - two weeks is (not) enough

-

-

minyoung looked out her bedroom window, gaze following soobin's back till he was eventually out of sight. she knew he was just trying to be strong; she could see it in the way his shoulders were down—completely different from his usual poise.

heart heavy, she lay back down on her bed and stared at the ceiling. soobin was someone she never wanted to lose, he had practically been there for her since day one.

rolling over to her bedside table, she picked up her vibraring phone.

"hello?"

"hello!" yeonjun's excited voice came through the speaker.

"do you never get tired?" she stared at his bright eyes.

"i would never get tired of looking at you." he winked through the screen.

she smiled without her eyes, feeling guilty that she was so happy even after having hurt soobin.

"what's wrong?" yeonjun asked, concerned.

"i... had a talk with soobin earlier." she started, sighing.

yeonjun fell silent, tapping his chin as he thought of a response.

"i'm sure he understands; feelings aren't something you can force."

she sighed again, still unable to help feeling guilty about the issue with soobin.

"the results will be released soon, you'll be there, right?" she watched as yeonjun moved from his desk to his bed.

"y-yes, definitely," he glanced over at what she assumed was a clock, "its getting late, you should go to bed soon."

"good night then." she waved as he waved back.

this continued for awhile, their actions getting more aggressive as it progressed.

"well? aren't you going to hang up?"

"i'll spare you the sadness of having to see me leave first."

"okay, then-"

"i love you." he interrupted.

"love you too, see you tomorrow."

after she hung up, she flipped onto her back, a silly grin crossing her face. she could not help but think of all the things she wanted to do together with yeonjun.

a simple meal after school, holding hands in the park, playing tennis together, going to the movies... and the list went on.

"i'm so lucky to have you."

-

yeonjun saw minyoung hang up and he was soon staring at his own reflection. the smile he was wearing dropped immediately as sadness replaced the happiness he was feeling just seconds before.

he was feeling very conflicted, because while the opportunity to go overseas was too good to miss, that meant that he would have to say goodbye to his friends.

he checked his calendar and saw that he still had about two weeks before he flew off. he prayed that he would be able to stay to hear the results announcement with minyoung, but that was very uncertain—the date was still unconfirmed.

the reason he had agreed to go though, was not purely because his father made him. yeonjun knew that this opportunity was never going to come by again, and he felt selfish for choosing to leave; disregarding the feelings of everyone else.

telling someone was an option, but who should he share this with? not beomgyu definitely, he and minyoung were practically besties at this point. on a regular day, he would tell soobin immediately, they were best friends after all. but this time he hesitated, he was not ready to face soobin yet.

he sighed before getting up as he headed to the kitchen to get himself a glass of water. he squinted as he walked since the house was dark and he was too lazy to turn the lights on, making sure to walk softer past his father's room.

he fumbled for the switch once he reached the kitchen, deciding that he did not trust his own vision and not wanting to risk spilling water everywhere.

the light flickered on, and his eyes immediately fell on a lone figure sitting at the dining table. he gave a yelp at the same time the figure did, which only caused him to yell louder.

"shut up yeonjun, why are you shouting in the middle of the night?"

"dad?" yeonjun finally managed to stop shouting, "why aren't you asleep yet?"

"thats the same question i want to ask you." his dad simply stated, resuming his seat at the table.

yeonjun's eyes fell on the photo frame his dad was holding, and immediately knew that he was having one of "those nights".

noticing his son's gaze, his dad smiled sadly.

"i wanted to tell her that you've agreed to go overseas to continue your training." his dad placed the photo on the table, "your sister had always hoped you would be able to do so."

"i'm really proud of you, yeonjun." his dad continued, "and i'm sure yeonhee would be very pleased no matter where she is."

yeonjun took a seat next to his father, taking the framed photo gently from the latter. the three of them were smiling happily in the photo, taken just a couple of years back.

"i miss her too." yeonjun said simply, and knowing that all his father needed right now was company, got up to make a cup of hot drink.

"i'm sorry if i have pressured you too much," his father began but was cut off by yeonjun.

"i've never blamed you, i know how much pride this brings you. i meant this in the nice way, by the way." yeonjun tried to lighten up the mood.

his dad smiled and took a sip of his drink.

"y'know, if you don't want to go, i understand. i know how much your relationships here mean to you."

"even so," yeonjun began, "this opportunity presented itself to me, and i'm going to take it. i'm no longer doing it for anyone, this has always been something i really want."

"do you want abit more time? we can push it back by another week or so."

"its alright dad, two weeks is enough."

+i wrote 3 chapters in two days and i'm really excited to upload all of them to see what you all think! as much as i would love to though, i like to keep some drafts (like insurance y'know) hehe but yes i always publish at like 1am because thats when my brain works