A Beginning Near The End

Rose

Dreams. That was my favourite word. No, fairy tales! Shoes! Dragons! Cinderella! There were just too many to choose from. All the words in the world were amazing in their own way, I guess. But right now, I found myself hating one word in particular-end. I knew that my fourth year was just about to begin, but I also knew that it would be my final year at Regal Academy. After that, nothing would be the same. We'd all be in different places, maybe even different worlds. We might lose touch, never see each other again... For the first time in my life, I wasn't feeling totally excited about my first year at Regal Academy.

Suddenly, my thoughts were interrupted by my mother. "Rose! You're late for school!" I smiled to myself. That one I was going to miss. As usual, I hurried out of the covers to get changed. "Gigi, pack my bag!" I yelled over my shoulder. A white mouse no bigger than a teapot squeaked and began to stuff my books inside my backpack. My final first day. It all felt so unreal."ROSE!" Pumpkin seeds! I picked up my bag and darted down into the living room, anticipating a long-winded lecture from my dad about being late for school.

"Rose, you need to stop-" Dad started. "Sorry, no time, gotta go, bye!" I shouted, running to the door. Whew! That was a close one. No humming or skipping to the portal today-I'd have to make a run for it if I wanted to avoid the wrath of Professor Snow White. She didn't like me at all anyways and wanted to be rid of me. Being late on the first day of school would just make things worse. I kept up my pace, and soon enough, I was in that secluded alley. I had no time to slow down, because the next thing had happened was me running into a dumpster and knocking it all over Travis.

"Bad luck Beast!" A muffled grunt said from under a heap of trash. "Fury Magic!" All that trash was soon in a mini-tornado that put everything back into the dumpster that I'd (somehow) managed to set straight. I silently thanked Coach Beast for all that strength training we did in gym. "Seriously, Rose? We haven't even made it to the Academy yet!" Travis joked. As we laughed, Travis opened up the portal and we both stepped in. As I walked out,I heard a familiar voice. "It's time you told her the truth." Astoria! I threw my arms around her.

"Rose! We've missed you!" cried Astoria. "Yeah. I wish granny would let me come for another visit," came a voice that I recognised only too well. My mind flashed back to that wonderful day when he'd surprised me on my birthday, bringing me a sculpture of a rose. He'd carved it by himself out of the glass of a broken mirror. Of course, Astoria had used her fire bangles to help melt the fragments of the glass together, but it was mainly him. It was the most beautiful present anyone had ever given me.

If that wasn't enough, he'd done his research on Earth and put together a whole day of activities that had to do with things I loved. Just as the sun was going down, he gave me one last present-a snow globe he'd managed to steal when we'd battled the Snow Queen. This one was unlike the one in my fairy tale collection-it had a beautiful castle inside of it. That snow globe now sat on my windowsill, and I shook it every night, thinking of him.

"Hawk!" I yelled. Astoria stepped away, just in time for me to run into his open arms. "Rose," he sighed, "I've missed you so much." Secretly, I wished that we could stay this way forever. "You know, we want to say hi to you too, Rose." I immediately leapt away from Hawk, my face heating up. "J-Joy!" I stammered. "I've missed you so much!" Joy gave me a hug, squeezing me tight. I let go of her to greet Ling Ling. Out of the corner of my eye, I caught Astoria eyeing Travis sternly. Because we couldn't help ourselves, Ling Ling and I burst into laughter. In that moment, I promised myself something. I was not going to let anything get in the way of me making my last year at Regal Academy the best fairy tale ever.

Loving this series? Vote, comment and share! ❤

The year has gotten off to a great start.... but will things stay this way? Will Hase become a thing, or not? Find out in the next chapter of Shattered!

Read on, I dare you! You'll be surprised by what happens in the next few chapters... See you at the end of Chapter 12!            

-WatchMeWhip13