One of Our Own

Astoria

I've always wondered what it would be like to suddenly disappear. Would you be invisible to the whole world? Or would you no longer exist? Maybe you would enter a different universe. Maybe you would become a stranger to all the people you knew and loved. What would be worse-no longer existing or being invisible? That was still a mystery to me, but I knew one thing: being sucked into a void would be much worse than any of that.

Which was exactly why I couldn't bear to see Shawn suffering from that very fate. I covered my eyes. Just as I expected, darkness closed in around me. It felt too big, and yet too small. The boundaries of it endless yet closing in on me. It was too overwhelming. "NO!!!" The voice startled me out of my thoughts and I instinctively looked up. What I saw startled me. Hawk, with his family's Mirror Shield protecting both him and Shawn, reflected each and every one of Joy's attacks.

"Think you can beat me so easily, Hawk?" Joy smirked before drawing out a circle with her wand. "This portal will suck in all the rebounding attacks. Hawk, baring his teeth, pulled out his own wand. "Atta-" Hawk stopped. "Frogs love to jump, but their magic shall jump faster, make the voids turn on their master!" Blinding lights flashed in the air. Rose, using Joy's head as a booster, vaulted down, positioning herself in between Hawk and Joy. "If you want Hawk, you're gonna have to get past me!" Rose yelled. "Fairy tale of my dream, Glass Slippers, make the scene!" Rose looked... angry. Very angry. It seemed that she cared about Hawk just as much as he cared about her.

Joy attempted a counterattack but was stripped of her wand. A moment later, Rose emerged, holding the wand in her wand. "Not so fast, Joy!" Rose expertly dodged every single one of Joy's kicks. I looked at Rose. She was preparing to kick Joy. I realised that her eyes were flashing violet. It reminded me of... That was it! Rose would have to stay at this forever if she kept fighting Joy like this. "The time has come, Cinderella Dragon! Rose is the heir of Iris!" Light surrounded Rose. She seemed to be glowing. 

The legendary warrior of the Cinderella family had chosen Rose to be their heir

The legendary warrior of the Cinderella family had chosen Rose to be their heir. Meanwhile, Joy was closing in on a now helpless Hawk. "How does it feel now, Hawk Snow White?" she cooed. Don't you dare touch him!" Rose, now holding a spear instead of her wand, came down, aiming straight at Joy-just before she burst into tears. Rose paused abruptly. Joy looked at her hands. "What have I done?" she cried. I knew that I'd been the one to raise the alarm about Joy, but I would also be the one to comfort her now. "Joy, I know you feel like we underestimate you, " I said carefully. "But that's not what we think! You have one of the strongest kinds of magic to have ever existed!" Joy shook her head wistfully. "You're only saying that to make me feel better," Joy whimpered before bursting into tears-again. 

"Joy. Let me tell you something." Rose crouched down next to Joy, armour and all. She looked quite intimidating-but that wasn't a surprise. Roses' looks had changed dramatically over the past few years. As  she got older, the pink highlights in her hair faded away. Her face had gotten bigger, making her eyes seem much smaller. But that didn't ruin anything. In fact, it made Rose look even prettier. "You're talented, smart, funny, cute and, most importantly, unique. You don't have to prove anything to us-we already think you're amazing just as you are. Don't you all think so?" We all nodded.

"I-I'm so sorry..Travis...you nearly died because of me..." Joy mumbled. "And Hawk, I'm really sorry." She looked me in the eye. "Astoria, I can't believe I just threw you away. I'm really sorry!" Joy's eyes flashed with guilt and desperation. It's okay," the three of said at the same time. Roses'armour faded away. "Pumpkin Magic!"Rose created six Go Karts. "Get in, guys!"she called. Laughing, we all sped off into the distance, leaving the past events behind. 

Joy has come to her senses-but will she stay that way for long? Or will another one of our heroes lash out at the rest of the team? And if so, will they succeed in their mission? Find out in the next chapter of Shattered!