Aftermath: Part 1

4 MONTHS LATER......

Astoria

"Astoria... You've been through every single book, every fairy, warlock, Regal. And they've all told you the same thing: she's gone. Forever." Shawn sat down next to me. "You;re in denial, Astoria." I shook my head firmly. "I know she's out there, somewhere... People don't just vanish like that. Not even magic is capable of evaporating a person like that. Even if her energy was taken, her body should have remained." Shawn forwned. "But that could be explained through the cerelitas law. The one that states-" 

"That if matter travels at a speed higher than that of light, they are pulled through to a portal in a parallel dimension?" I looked at Shawn triumphantly. "That's my point exactly. She's not dead. She's only been whisked away to a parallel universe." Shawn pondered the idea. "It's possible... But even so, it would take decaes to master magic that could bring her back with a magic force as weak as ours. To rescue her, it would take-"

"A warlock." I finished. Shawn nodded. "You need a mixture of Devon and fairy tale power for a spell like that." I stood, suddenly manic. "Exactly! Put two and two together-we just need the blood from all those people to create a magic force strong enough to siphon."Shawn nodded, deep in thought. "We have access to the fairy tale families. And, of course, Richelle's blood." I remembered the cold-looking warlock who had been murdered in cold blood by Hawk. She was good and didn't deserve to die. Even though it seemed insensitive, I collected some of her blood in a long, thin test tube. 

Shawn sat there quietly for a bit longer before suddenly standing and shaking his head. "No, Astoria. You are obsessing over someone that is gone and who will never come back. Just be happy that Rose is alive and happy somewhere else." Tears stung my eyes. "But Shawn.... she left without saying goodbye." My voice was barely audible, a whisper lost in a sea of noise. Shawn put an arm around me. "Rose wouldn't have liked this." I nodded. I knew he was right. I knew I was too stuck in the past. Sometimes, I wished I could just let go of my emotions like Hawk. At least I wouldn't feel the pain, the hurt, the grief... "Come on, we'll be late to class." 

Prof. and Headmistress Cinderella stood in the corner, head hung. They'd been like this for the past four months. In only white and forever silent. Professor Snow White was out looking for Hawk and Coach Beast was out to visit Travis. After Roses' death, Travis had decided that staying in the fairy tale world was too much for him to handle. His parents had relocated to a place known as London where Travis was building a life for himself. Rumor had it he was training to be an athlete. 

Of course, that only left one teacher: my grandma. Magister Rapunzel. "Welcome, class." She smiled at us all, trying to spread some happiness throughout the glum room. It was as if Roses' death had dulled the spirit of the whole Academy. "Today, we will be taking the time to revisit basic grimoire dialect as I noticed errors regarding conversions in many of you essays...." I hated the strange, woozy feeling I got every time Grandma started talking. I couldn't pay attention. Couldn't hear her voice past my own thoughts. When my entire being should have been in the Magisters' class, parts were present in universes far from our own. 

"...and that concludes class for today. Please feel free to consult me about syntax revision and grammatical formalities in basic grimoire dialect anytime." I stood, my legs carrying me to the door. 

Two hours later, I was just about knee-deep in books exploring the cerelitas law. "Theory gives that matter, when large enough, echoes residue..." I pulled a notebook, writing down important points from each book. "Excess mass can replicate its origin over billions of years....." I added more notes, starting to form a loosely worded definition. "Alternate realities, also known as parallel universes are then formed, linked to one another....." There was just one missing piece. One more explanation was all I needed. Then it would all come together.

It was only then that I noticed the shadow of a tall, muscled woman flickering across the library. I watched, terrified, as her shadow bent, down. I turned to face her, only to find her standing, holding out an arm, controlling her shadow. "And when the amount of energy produced by any matter is greater than that of the force separating the parallel universes, boundaries can be broken... And the parallel universes are now no longer separated. They are, in fact, adjacent." She sighed. "That might partly be my fault." I looked at this woman. White haired. Reminiscent almost exactly of who Travis had described. I stifled a scream.

"What I mean to say say is, nice to meet you, Astoria Rapunzel. I am Reilyn Devon, the new Warlock of Devon." She paused. "An extremely sorry for what happened to your friends." Now, she smirked. "I'm going to help you set things right."

Will Reilyn be able to bring Rose back and make everything normal again? And will she be able to bring Hawk back from the darkness? Find out in the next chapter of Shattered!