The Beast's Roar

Shawn

It all clicked into place in an instant, like a gear shifting and clicking into place. The beast's roar turning a hero to a villain had caused the very foundations of the fairy tale land to collapse, turning Ever After on its head. "Well, what should we do now?" Rose managed before another tidal wave of realization hit her. Hawk and I exchanged silent glances. It was obvious-we would have to go and face Travis if we had any hope of escaping this phantom universe.

"Are you sure about this?" Rose said again, placing a rusty helmet on her head. "Yes, Rose. We can take Travis." Hawk reassured her, putting an arm around her shoulder. "Beast or not, he's still Travis!" I joked. The three of us burst into laughter, remembering all of Travis's 'Bad Luck Beast' moments. Soon enough, we were geared up in rusty, decaying armor, ready to find Travis. We set off, determined and resolute, swords in hand, weapons handy. Forging on in the sweltering heat, watching as decaying leaves fell from the once vivid green trees to our feet, making crunching noises as we stepped on them. Dark clouds hung over the landscape, like a constant reminder of the suffering and death within a village of once royals. 

And yet we pushed, pushed, struggled... Until we were blinded by our own sweat.... And we heard her scream. We heard Rose scream. My eyes began to come into focus, and what I saw baffled me. Hawk stood his ground, sword drawn, while Rose looked up at... the beast. 

"Attack!" Hawk charged, adjusting his speed and trajectory for a lethal stab in the beast's underbelly- "Stop!" Surprisingly, it was Rose who had placed herself in front of the admittedly terrified looking Beast. "Guys, this isn't the Beast. This... is Ling Ling." Hawk paused, sword in midair. Rose watched as Ling Ling wrote something in the soil with a stick as dead as the leaves we'd seen earlier. The message read:

I am Ling Ling. I was turned into a beast when Travis roared. I believe I have switched to the Beast in the way that everyone else has been switched from rags to riches and vice versa. We must defeat Travis if we have any hope of surviving.

Beauty the beast and the beast beauty. It only made sense, given all of the other changes. We set off, Ling Ling joining us on the long, tedious walk to the palace beyond this wreckage in which the beast resided. 

Eventually, we slowed to a stop in front of a divine palace towering high above all of the other buildings in the street. This is it, I thought. This is your moment.