Attack

Rose

Just as a general thing, it's hard to keep your eyes shut when you're standing in a corridor made entirely of crystals. I was certainly in that situation at the moment, standing there with Hawk at the door to what would have been my room if Shawn hadn't rescued me from that carriage. It was abandoned, with the palace staff believing it to be haunted, for I had 'passed' before coming into this room. And that's why I felt scared walking in. Or at least that's what Hawk thought, who had an arm around my trembling shoulders and was slowly opening the door.... Which I didn't want to see. It was just like I said: it's hard to keep your eyes shut in a situation like the one I was in. Even if you're like me and you really, really want to. 

I do not own the artwork

"It'll be okay," Hawk whispered into my ear. "Everything's okay as long as we're together." And that was true. After a year of living in the dark, thinking he was dead, Hawk had come back. Back for me. He'd risked so much, following Shawn without anything to protect him, and then breaking in to the Council's headquarters. And he'd done it all hoping he'd find... well, me. So I believed him. Everything was going to be okay. I looked around the foyer of my quarters, where many of the Council's members were lounging around and playing games. Shane Fortsmann was playing a game of Speed with Sheila Rombouts in the corner, Alan Woods was discussing the glass used in the ornate windows with Rebecca Shirley, Earnest Shacklereed stood around the fireplace, making small talk with Talia Dariq and Damien Reginald just sat there next to Tara Malik, who was laughing at a joke Will Northcott, who was ever the comedian, had made about the Regals. 

Damien was just... looking at those two. I could tell he liked Talia. But he was too proud to say anything. I knew Damien was one of the 3 young peasant children sent away to live in the Ice Plains, a land where the Ice Lord, one of the richest Regals, ruled as his 3 knights and, one day, successors. He had been brought up in an icy cold place, where he was, in fact, very loved by the lord. But Damien never agreed with the viewpoint of the Ice Lord, who believed that nobody could dare question the beast. And that was why, on one dark and stormy night, he ran away from the palace. And forever left his emotions behind with the love he himself had for his only father figure.