In My Line Of Sight

Travis

"Bad...Luck...Beast!" I fell to the ground once again. Ling Ling was an amazing girl and I loved spending time with her. Just not in combat training. "Come on, Travis!" Ling Ling laughed. "Do I have to help you up?" I couldn't help myself. She took my hand, pulling me up until I was level with her eyes. Her eyes, the ones I always lost myself in... "Earth to Travis!" An excited voice cut through my thoughts. "Pumpkin Seeds! We get to train on actual Guardian Dragons!" A few weeks ago, I would've laughed at Roses' enthusiasm. But now, after the whole scene with Joy, I just couldn't find Rose funny.

She'd looked so scary... I had nightmares that Rose would turn into that person every night now. Her eyes, the spear, the armour, the way she didn't do so much as make a slight misstep... I loved Rose so much. She was my sister by heart, if not by blood. It was a truth I'd admitted to myself years ago, when the Snow Queen caught Rose in one of her globes. Hawk, at that point in time, was filled with rage towards the Snow Queen. He couldn't let Rose go, ever... which proved he loved her. Very much. But what Hawk had felt was noting compared to my own emotions at that stage.

I would have willingly done anything to save Rose at that point. I would've died, or killed. No force could have stopped me. Until I saw the Pom Poms. She was okay! After that day, I'd grown 'overprotective', as Astoria put it. She was the one who'd convinced me to give Hawk a chance with Rose. "You know how he feels about her," she'd mused. "Just let him have a chance." I'd reluctantly agreed. Ever since, I always kept the two within my line of sight.

My thoughts spiralled throughout the training session. Of course, this meant that flying class went even worse. Afterwards, I could tell Grandpa agreed with me when I said I deserved a plaque in my honour for being the clumsiest dragon rider in history. "Well, I promised Rose I'd take to Hansel and Gretel's cafe today." Hawk took Roses' hand. "Have fun!" called Astoria and Joy. Ling Ling waved cheerily as they walked away. Once they were out of earshot, the three of them began to whisper excitedly about Hawk and Roses' date at the cafe. I growled. As angry thoughts flooded through my head, a plan began to take shape.

"Those two are adorable together!" squealed Joy. Ever since the incident, Joy had decided to make a few changes, starting with her looks. She'd let her hair grow so she could wear it up. Showers that took place in actual bathrooms made her hair seem 10 shades lighter, and she'd started doing her makeup based on her face shape instead of the colours. She grown into using more natural shades. Joy's new look was really suiting her.

 Joy's new look was really suiting her

(I do not own the artwork)

"Yes! They were just... meant to be!" cried Ling Ling. Even though Joy looked amazing, she couldn't trump Ling Ling. "They're going to have such a good time today," sighed Astoria. This was my chance! The girls began to whine about not being able to watch. So I stepped in. "Who said they have to know we're watching?" I said curtly, flicking my wand to turn the four of us invisible.