A Twisted New World

Hawk

"So you're saying that all they have to do is get get Hawk's reflection to create a portal?" Rose's father repeated into a strange rectangular device known as a phone. "Yes, yes." Roses' mother's voice could be heard from the phone. This was a strange piece of sorcery indeed! "Alright, bye!" Rose's father pressed the device once. 

"Okay. Hawk, you have to use your reflection to make a portal," began Rose's dad. "Then the two of you just step in and you're back!" Rose stood up, looking ready to take on any challenge. This was the new Rose-unrelenting, fierce, determined. It was strange, seeing her like this. So... serious. Like every task was a battle that had to be won. "Get up, Hawk. Let's do this." Rose looked down her nose at me before walking toward a mirror. 

I stood up and hurried over to the mirror. "Alright, Hawk. Work your fairy magic!" Roses' dad yelled encouragement from behind me. Rose stood absolutely still, her face an icy mask. What was wrong? We'd had such a good time in New York. We'd even kissed... 

The moment pulled me back in with a strange intensity. It wasn't my first time kissing someone, but it definitely felt like it. There was just something about seeing Roses' face, knowing that she was okay that made it even more intense. I remembered the warm, tingly feeling that had taken over my body, making me sweat even in the crisp winter air.  "Hawk? Is there a problem?" Roses' dad cut in, sending my thoughts flitting away. "Uh... no. It'll just be a moment." 

I focused on the mirror. "Hawk?" I called, rapping on the glass. Soon enough, the mirror version of myself emerged with a bathrobe wrapped around him. "I was getting a massage!" he whined. "You can have another one later," I reasoned. Sometimes, speaking to my reflection seemed like explaining something to a child. "Get us in," I commanded. Mirror Hawk stepped aside, grumbling to himself. Rose and I walked in, stepping out of one world into another hand in hand. 

I was momentarily blinded by the lights that surrounded me, clutching Roses' hand for guidance. A few seconds later, I felt myself falling, falling... until I landed on something familiar to me. I opened my eyes to find myself on a dragon's back, being led toward a dark, desolate place. To Regal Academy. 

"We've been waiting for you," Astoria rasped. Cuts bled all along her forearms and lips, roughly bandaged with torn pieces from her now ragged clothes-a rough looking shirt and a blue pleated skirt. Black boots covered in blood and dirt covered her feet. "You're our only hope against the Beast," Joy forced out before bursting into a fit of coughs. Joy looked much worse than Astoria, with a cut slashed across her top lip and only a dark green smock to cover her body. She too wore the same boots as Astoria. "Help us," said Shawn, the only one who didn't seem to be affected b this strange change of scenery. 

"What happened?" Rose asked Shawn, looking him in the eye. She looked resolute, determined, fierce... Just like a prince. Perhaps... Perhaps Rose was the prince of this story and I was the princess. Perhaps things were switching in our fairy tales. The sinners the saints and the saints the sinners. The peasants the royals and the royals the peasants. The old the new and the new the old. All of this switching so suddenly, as if a beast's roar had changed the course of the world...

"I think I know what happened," I said, accepting the grim truth. "The Beast's roar was powerful enough to turn our tales upon us."

Oooohhhh.....

Now that the fairy tale world has been turned on its head, what will happen to our remaining heroes? Will the beast that has become of Travis rule over his new kingdom for eternity? And finally, is Rose really the prince of the tale, or is that just a part of the Beast's magic? Find out in the next chapter of Shattered!

Share this story with your friends, followers and readers for faster chapter updates!

-WatchMeWhip13