Gut Instinct

Ling Ling

"What a day, my Queen!" one of my maids exclaimed, scrubbing my feet with a brush made of refined horse hair. "Really, it's a miracle that our princess is safe and sound," another one marveled, placing two cucumber slices over my eyes. The two of them went on babbling. It was really starting to give me a headache. "Joy! Astoria! Silence!" I screeched. What was wrong with these peasants? We gave them a job at the palace, expecting that they'd keep their mouths shut and just do their jobs. Such ungrateful beggars should have been thrown out on the streets.

After an utterly horrible massage, the maids stood and left my chambers, taking care not to let the pink diamond door slam behind them. They knew I hated anything unexpected happening. I took a deep breath. Those monstrosities of maids! They ruined my routine. If things went on like this, I'd have eye bags at the crowning parade next week! Pulling my cotton-silk blend robe over my shoulders, I set out into my balcony.

The gardens sparkled below me, beautiful carved roses stretching out in every direction, small diamonds twinkling under the moonlight. I fingered the solitary carved rose that my maids had left on my balcony that night. It sparked strange memories of a boy with green hair whose smile was brighter than all the moons combined. Whose eyes sparkled at the mention of my name. Who also carved sculptures. So similar to Travis, and yet so different. The boy was awfully clumsy and not at all athletic, while Travis was the furthest thing from that. But there was something nagging me..... A gut feeling that they were connected in some. I pushed the thought to the back of my head and focused my attention to the small puffs of breath I could see in the air because of the cold, wintry night.

Of course, Travis thought that I was getting my beauty sleep for tomorrow night. But there was something about going outside-something about taking in the fresh air and looking out at the world-that cleared my mind. It made me feel like I was floating away into nothingness. Sleep began to tug on my eyes, my face, my body. It felt like I was disintegrating every time I came out here. I wondered if Travis knew this. I wondered if that was why he wouldn't let Rose  out into the air.

I felt the sleepiness kick in. That was my queue to go inside. Pulling my blanket up, I closed my eyes and sank into a deep sleep without any dreams. Just the way I liked it. When