High Exposure

Joy

As I watched the scene unfold, my mind flashed back to my five year old fantasies. I dreamt of happily ever after, marrying a Prince Charming and living in a grand palace. Of course, I knew that it was still possible for that to happen. But ever since school had started, I found myself disliking the idea more and more. I wanted to be a hero. A saviour. To live my life as someone who put others before self. Then I saw Esquire. Kind, brave, noble and handsome, just like the 'Prince Charming' in my dreams.

I brought him back to his true self-only to learn that he didn't want to stay that way. But then, he came back for me with that handsome Vonn Frog. I sighed, wishing I'd listened to Esquire before all that chaos took place. I remembered seeing him again last year with that girl-Vienna, I think it was. He'd been brought back to his human form by her and chosen to stay that way. They were so happy together. It made me wonder of all the possibilities if I'd just let Esquire in. "Travis?" Hawk looked at the Beast boy who had once been the clumsiest, unluckiest prince at the academy. Now, as he stood his ground in cafe, teeth bared, fist clenched, it seemed like that boy had never existed.

"Hawk." Travis rounded up on him, all while Rose tried to get in the way. "You don't deserve Rose." Fear flickered in Hawk's eyes as he backed up against the wall of the cafe. "You're taking advantage of her." This time, Rose interjected. "What do you know, Travis?" Hawk took Roses' hand, ready to protect her from the beast inside Travis. "You aren't worthy of holding her hand!" Travis flared. "Or saying her name! Speaking with her! Walking with her!" His voice ascended to a roar. Bloodshot veins appeared all along his eyes. Hawk's grip on Roses' hand tightened.

"Travis!" Ling Ling materialised in front of him, taking his hands into her own. "You don't have to be like this. Just take a deep breath and explain to Hawk what you think he's doing wrong." Travis answered by pushing a terrified Ling Ling away. "Stay out of this, Ling Ling," he growled. His voice only got deeper as the time passed, the veins in his eyes becoming clearer by the second. "Stay out or you'll get hurt." Rose raised her wand. "Pumpkin Mag-" Hawk grabbed her hand just in time. Even though magic against a beast did for an excellent diversion, it only made them stronger.

Travis wrenched Rose from Hawk's grip. "Stay with Ling Ling." Hawk brandished his shield, ready to take on Travis. "You'll pat, Hawk Snow White," boomed Travis. Hawk lunged, ramming Travis with his shield. Wrong move. Travis, with one small push, sent Hawk flying backwards, just before he crumpled against the wall. "Hawk!" Rose tried to rush forward, but invisible vines strangled her. "It's too dangerous!" Astoria spoke up for the first time, keeping herself out of sight for as long as possible.

Travis angled toward Hawk for a fatal blow, pointing the claws on the tips of his beastly paws straight at his heart. With a sudden rush of movement, he drove his claw tip forward, pushing into Hawk's flesh-"FROG MAGIC!" The beast began to shrink. Ling Ling and Rose sprinted out of the building. Astoria must have wrapped Hawk up in her ivy hair, because he was flopping around on the ground, moving towards the door. My heart pounded in my chest at a pace higher than any other as I turned around to look at the ruins inside the cafe.

Inside stood a beast, covered from head to toe in a shaggy brown mane of fur, looking around at the wreckage he had caused. As he turned back, something new shone in his eyes. Rage. Fury. Anger. The Beast looked up at the ceiling, before unleashing a roar that shook the very land beneath us.