Held Hostage

Rose

After what felt like forever, my vision began to clear, revealing a black marble foyer, complete with long, drooping chandeliers. Upon closer inspection, I noticed streaks of something sparkling red. Blood. It ran through the walls, almost as if breathing life into the palace. Inanimate animate, animate inanimate.  The palace had veins and arteries while the Beast didn't. I looked down at my hands, terrified to see no veins even showing underneath my skin. I was no longer alive. I was undead. If I did ever manage to escape, I'd die. Outside these palace walls, I was helpless.
"Our princess has awoken," a calming deep voice mused. I looked up to see the most beautiful boy I had ever seen, standing beside Ling Ling.

Love Nikki Dress Up Queen

The light from the chandeliers made his perfectly shaped jawline stand out. Tousled brown hair that fell slightly down on his face, drawing attention to those beautiful hazel eyes speckled with gold. His tall, lean figure was emphasised in the white and gold outfit he was wearing. All I could do was stare. "Now, now, Rose, we must have you dressed in something more flattering than...that," Ling Ling pooh-poohed. Her blackish-grey eyes were missing their usual sharpness. Her face wasn't tense. Instead, she looked strangely... clueless.

A group of maids bustled in, ruining the moment. "Oh, it's the princess!" one exclaimed, while the others began to lower enchanted tape measures, muttering to themselves as they worked. "All right, ladies, I'll leave her to you. After all, my successor must always look her best." With that, Ling Ling and the man swept out of the hall, Ling Ling letting out a tinkling laugh nothing like her own. 

I turned to face a maid, trying to formulate a sentence. "That-that man, who is-was-he?" The maid looked like she had seen a ghost. "That's King Travis, ruler of Shadow End. The new fairy tale land."

Rose's blood is in the walls of the palace, making it impossible for her to leave without dying. Ling Ling is no longer herself. Travis is the king of a twisted new world. Can our heroes save the fairy world or is it too late? Find out in the next chapter of Shattered.