Intruders

Hawk

Rose looked from me to the scene unfolding before our eyes. Tara's eyes darted from Will to Damien, an all-too-familiar expression on her face. She liked both of them, but in different ways. She wanted them both... but she knew that she could only have one of the romances-the fun and quirky one, or the real deal.  She was going to have to make a choice. Rose looked up at me, and in that moment I was glad that I'd only ever fallen for one girl. And it was talented, creative, vibrant Rose. She wasn't like the other girls. She never will be. And that's why I love her. I thought about how we'd first met. She'd seemed so strange, so absurd.... And yet I wanted to know more about her. Was that how Damien had felt when he'd met Tara?

Everything was still, silent. The way illustrations were in a storybook. It felt like we were stuck in a picture, nobody daring a move a muscle. It was beautiful in a way. But then something shattered the silence, the stillness of the scene. Tara shook Will's hand off her wrist and threw her arms around Damien's neck. And she kissed him. "It was you," she said, looking into his eyes. "It was always you." Damien smiled. But his smile was only for Tara. Tara smiled back before turning around to face Will. "I'm sorry, Will..." Will just nodded. "I understand." And just like that, the whole debacle was over and everyone went back to whatever they were doing. But,right then, glass shattered. And in walked a troupe of armed warriors, each of them holding spears with electrifying tips and wearing merciless expressions, charged at Tara. 

"No!" Damien leapt in front of her, anticipating the spear's tip. "No!" Tara tried to shove him away, but he wouldn't move. The spear's tip came closer, only inches away from piercing Damien's heart.... "Pumpkin Magic!" Rose knocked the spear off course with an ingeniously crafted catapult. The only thing that touched Damien's skin now was an awful lot of pumpkin. Rose smiled. "Let's take 'em down."

She created more catapults, firing pumpkins at the guards. "Get the blonde one!" One of the guards targeted her spear at Rose's chest. She threw it... Only to have it re-directed and caught by myself. Rose grabbed the spear, touching its electrified tip to each catapult. Will shot a pumpkin at an approaching guard, only to see it emerge writhing with electricity. The pumpkin hit the guard square in the chest, singeing their armor and causing them to faint. Rose just grinned. Before long, everyone in the Council was firing electrified pumpkins at the guards, knocking them out and tying them up before they could call for help. "Protect us all with another spell, an enchanted dome shall do us well!" Rose pointed her wand at the ceiling, letting up a golden spark that exploded into a firework. The firework seemed to be stretching out in every direction, encasing the quarters in a transparent dome. 

"Whoa," Shawn goggled at the dome. "How did you think I stopped the general public from entering my cottage?" Rose smiled. I put an arm around her. "I think we should attack soon," I began. "They know we're in the palace. We can't live in stealth anymore." Rose nodded, as did everyone else. "We'll send in our spies tomorrow," Shawn announced. "But for now, get some rest. There are enough beds for everyone upstairs." We all made our way upstairs, running to the best bedrooms. I watched as the fools disappeared into the smallest bedrooms. Those were only just the servant quarters, nothing but a single bed and a blue curtain to adorn it.