Revolution

Shawn

"My lord." The young lady in front of me curtsied. "I wish to apply for a position to serve at the palace." I sighed. I didn't want to disappoint her I the way that I'd disappointed so many other of the people today... "There is a job open to work here in the manor. It also provides protection for your family and access to clean food and clothing." The girl beamed. "Thank you, my Lord!" she exclaimed. "I won't let you down!" I smiled. "Please, do not thank me." The girl nodded. "If that is what you wish, my lord," she said nervously.

I chuckled. "Please, call me Shawn," I insisted. "Thank you... Shawn. My name is Lana." I nodded. "Well then, Lana, just tell my secretary your details. I'll have a uniform organised for you." She nodded earnestly before walking out the door. I could swear I heard a squeal halfway down the corridor as well. I retired to my desk, sighing. It had been a long day. Just as I began packing up, I heard another knock at the door. "I'm sorry, no other applications for-" The door was opened. Behind it stood... Hawk. Or at least I thought it was Hawk. I'd never seen him look this depressed.

(I don't own the photo)

His bluish-black hair lacked its usual sheen. He'd thrown on a black shirt and a white jacket, with half of the hood hanging off his head. And he was staring down at that contraption he'd gotten from Earth... a phone, I think? "Shawn." He stood there, not looking up at me. "Hawk, what a surprise!" I threw a smile on my face, tying to make him feel better. "I'm glad you've come out of your house. It's not good for for you to be holed up like, Hawk," I explained. "I just can't seem to accept that she's gone for real," Hawk said, looking at me for the first time in a year. "I thought I could get over it. I mean, I liked her and all... But I never knew that I loved her. It wasn't meant to be soulmates or anything, it was just meant to be the two of us as an Academy couple." Hawk sighed. I could see the tears in his eyes. "But that was before...." I sighed, running my fingers along the table. "Before you fell in love with her," I finished.

 My mind flashed back to the day Astoria had left for the kingdom. Her parting words: "I'll come back when the Beast is gone. Just promise me you'll wait." And I'd promised her. And here I was, a year later, still waiting. "Look, Hawk, I understand. Eve though Astoria isn't dead, she's been gone for a year. I don't know if she's okay..." I collected myself. This wasn't the time for self-pity. "What I'm trying to say is that you need to move on with your life, Hawk. Rose is gone, and you're going to have to accept it." It killed me, lying to Hawk about Rose's death. But I was scared. If someone found out that she was alive because of me, His Majesty would have me executed. Nobody could know.

"Maybe you're right," Hawk said, pulling himself up. "I do need to do something." I smiled. "I have just the job."