Parallel Possibilities

Joy

"Who are you? And where's Hawk?" 

Rose twirled a strand of loose hair from her high ponytail around her fingers while Travis frowned, hands on hips. "And Ling Ling-where's she?" Rose snorted. "Oh my god, I still don't understand why you date that klutz." Travis huffed. "I mean, she's pretty, but she's also a total nerd. She spends all her time at stupid art shows and stuff. I mean, she even missed your game today!" Travis scowled. "Like Hawk's any better, sister." Sister? Travis and Rose were related? "Hey, at least he's on the football team." Travis barked a laugh. "But he's so.... weird. And obsessed with sneakers for some reason." Rose crossed her arms, raising an eyebrow. "At least he's genuinely into me." Travis looked his supposed sister up and down. "Literally every guy at school is into you."

I noticed their strange clothes. Rose wore a short skirt and matching sleeveless top with sneakers. Travis was clad in a strange jacket and weird blue pants.

 Travis was clad in a strange jacket and weird blue pants

(Rose)

(Travis)

(Travis)

A second beam of light washed over the room, revealing Hawk and Ling Ling. "Wha-ROSE?!" Hawk ran toward Rose, who let out a shriek of delight. The two embraced, seeming to forget the world around them. Hawk turned to look at us. "Hey, who are they?" Rose shrugged. "I have no idea." Ling Ling and Travis stood hand-in-hand, smiling.  "Also, where are we?" Ling Ling asked. "This place looks.... like a palace." Astoria stepped forward. "You've got... memories from your life in a parallel universe." She turned toward Rose. "Tell me about yourself. Everything you know, everything you remember." Rose nodded before turning toward Hawk, who protectively put an arm around her. 

Hawk also wore a jacket like Travis. He, however, wore strange black pants. Ling Ling wore a short, flowery skirt with a plain white top. 

(Hawk)

(Hawk)

(Ling Ling)

(Ling Ling)

"Well, my name is Rose Dixon-Carter." I realised her last name converted to 'Cinderella' in Devon dialect. "This is my older half-brother, Travis. We had the same mother but not the same father. That's why Travis' full name is Travis Bryant." That converted to Beast in Devon dialect. "He's two years older than me and my dad's his stepdad." Astoria nodded. "Well, we grew up in Soho, Sydney." Astoria frowned. "According to the Earth studies teacher, Soho is in New York." Rose shook her head. "No, it's definitely in Sydney." Astoria scribbled a note onto her notebook. 

"Well, we both attend Kingston Prep, the best high school in the nation. I'm in Year 10 and Travis is in Year 12. He's the captain of the football team and I'm on the cheer squad." Astoria made note of this. According to An Advanced Study of Earthly Schooling, football and cheerleading were extracurriculars in American high schools. "Hawk's also on the football team. His full name's Hawk Watson-Saunders." Snow-White. "He's in Year 11, as is Ling Ling. Her full name's Ling Ling Feng-Ikida." Ironfan. "Ling Ling's introverted and kinda clumsy. No offence. Hawk's sweet. He's quirky and a total klutz but charming." Hawk smiled down at Rose. "I'm dating Hawk. Travis is with Ling Ling." Rose paused.

"Travis is a fierce, competitive guy. He's good looking, fierce, funny and good at everything, really." Travis cut in. "Rose is probably the most popular girl at our school. She's smart, funny and athletic." Travis glared at his sister. "Also, she receives lots of unwanted male attention." Rose rolled her eyes. "Honestly, it's so annoying. I get asked out every single week. It's like, I have a boyfriend!"

Astoria shut her notebook. "I have a theory." She continued. "I think you've all switched personalities with your significant others. Rose is like Hawk, Hawk is like Rose. Same goes for Travis and Ling Ling." Astoria frowned. "That's what was different in the alternate universe when it came to you guys. We need to seal the universes again so that your old memories come back." Astoria smiled. "And to do that.... we just add magic." 

Once again, a drop of Reilyn's blood was taken. Astoria snapped a pair of gold-studded goggles over her eyes. "Let's get to work, Joy." I pulled a pair of goggles over my on eyes before opening up a cupboard full of equipment for the task ahead. "Okay, so just add the enchanted ring to this tube. It's been cursed by the Evil Queen, so it should be able to siphon the Queen's curse on Devon blood." Astoria followed my instructions, placing the ring around the tube gently. "Now this pearl has a Sea Witch curse on it. So just put that into the funnel." Astoria placed the pearl into the funnel. "And, of course, this cookie's been preserved from the last time the Shortbread Witch came to pay us a visit." I wrinkled my nose. "This one.... goes in the cage." I dropped the cookie into a heavily enchanted golden prison, locking it up with a flick of my wand.

"Did you see that?" Rose whispered to Hawk. "She... has a magic wand." Hawk held Rose even closer to him. "Don't worry. This is probably just a dream.... or another one of Coach Pierre's stupid team-building exercises." Rose shook her head, pointing at Ling Ling. "She wouldn't b here if that was the case." Hawk sighed, still holding Rose tightly. Well... here goes." I tipped the drop of blood into the tube, where a barely visible purplish dot flew up toward the ring. A blue-green wisp of smoke curled into the pearl and a strange pink cloud-like substance flew straight into the mouth of the cookie. I instantly crushed the cookie.

A small droplet of blood rolled out. Astoria carefully put it back into the phial. "I want to study this. See what else it contains. It would be a breakthrough if I could finally find all the curses and spells in Devon warlock blood-" I looked at the uniform-clad students behind me-Hawk, Rose, Travis and Ling Ling-back to normal. Rose smiled, throwing herself at Astoria and I. Hawk followed suit, Travis and Ling Ling behind him. 

As we stood together, laughing and talking, I felt so complete again. Like everything was okay. And even though that was far from the truth, I let myself believe it.