Fury

Rose

I rubbed my eyes, trying to figure out where I was before I heard a distant call. "Rose?" I ran towards the voice, hoping that it was one of my other teammates. "Rose?" The voice got close enough for me to recognise it as Hawk's. Thank goodness he was alright. "Rose?" I ran urgently around a corner, bumping right into him. "Oh, Rose! I'm so glad you're okay..." He pulled me close, too close, before moving in towards my lips... This was my first kiss. I'd fantasised about this happening in a moment under a tree in full bloom, while me and my lover shared a picnic.
But this was a thousand times better. It was real. I felt billions of heightened emotions surge through me, almost like a tidal wave, just more gentle. Happiness, fear, relief, amazement... Hawk was lost in another world of thoughts by the time we broke apart. "Where are we?" I noticed that I was breathless. Probably from... that.

"I'm not entirely sure," he replied, also breathless. Was it Hawk's first kiss too? "Let's look around, see what we can find," I suggested, taking Hawk's hand and heading down the street that we were standing in the middle of. The buildings all across the street mirrored the dismal grey skies that surrounded them. A light drizzle caused tiny drops of water to stick to Hawk's hair, giving the illusion of glitter on a black canvas.

"What are you looking at?" Hawk laughed. "I dunno. Maybe you? I replied sarcastically. The two of us continued down the road, hand in hand, looking for our friends. Eventually, they ran into an old man sitting at a rusty grey bench. "Excuse me, sir, but whereabouts are we?" I asked. Hawk smiled sweetly behind me. "New York," replied the man, clearly confused. "Okay, thank you," I took Hawk's hand, pulling him into a corner. "We've been teleported back to Earth," I whispered. "Is this where you live?" Hawk asked, clearing having forgotten the way that her town looked. "No. This is somewhere else. Anyways, we need to find a way to get a few cents and find a payphone so that we can contact my mother, who should be able to tell us how to get back." I smirked at Hawk. "And I know just what to do."

Hawk and I walked down the street to a busy cafe, where I asked the owner if we could arrange some entertainment in exchange for some cash. "Go knock yourselves out," the owner replied, handing me $50. "I'll give you $400 if you can stop the kids from messing around and breaking all my cups." $400. That was pretty impressive, considering the fact that all we'd needed was a few cents.

"Snow Magic!"

Pumpkin Magic!"

Within a few minutes, the makeshift ice rink was flooded with children. "Gotta hand it to you kids," the owner commented, "You know how to deal with the little ones." She whipped out her wallet, plucking a few notes from inside it. "There." She handed Hawk the money before heading back inside. "Alright!" We asked a parent for directions to the nearest payphone. "There's one just down the road," he'd replied. "Why? You lost your cell?" That had been a bit awkward, considering the fact that Hawk didn't know what a phone was.

I took Hawk's hand, yelling my thanks to the parent, who was clearly intrigued. What sort of kid didn't know what a phone was? His daughter was five, and she wanted one for Christmas. I slipped into the booth, dialling my mom's number, praying that she picked up. A few moments passed. Voicemail. I'd have to call my dad. "Hello?" I let out a sigh of relief. "Dad," I began, "I'm out in New York." This was going to be one long conversation. "What? Why? How? Shouldn't you be in Fairy Land or something?" I chuckled. "Long story. Anyways, I'm with Hawk." I could literally hear my dad's eyebrows go up. It was hilarious. "Alone with Hawk?" he asked. "Yes, Dad." A rustle. "I'm coming in ten minutes. Stay where you are." He hung up. I stepped out of the booth, noticing Hawk looking curiously at a vending machine. I walked up to him, pulling out a few coins. "Let me show you how it's done."

My dad showed up a while later, only to find us eating Snickers bars together on a bench overlooking the road. "Come on," he said, slowing down to a stop in front of us. Hawk just stared at the car. "Is this a metal carriage?" he asked my dad, who laughed before replying, "It's called a car. Now get in." We explained everything to my dad on the way home, who looked extremely baffled by all of this information. "O...K." He said at the end. "So you two went to eat at a cafe, Hawk got you a ring that was magic and then an invisible guy jumped at you, and the invisible guy was your friend who got mad at Hawk for trying to put the ring on you, and then he turned into a beast like his grandpa. So he chucked Hawk at a wall and tried to kill him because of the ring but then you escaped, and then Travis, the guy who's the beast, roared and you got teleported here."

"Yep," I said, sighing. "We're stuck here now. How will we escape without a key?"