The Warlock of Devon

Travis

Rose stood from her chair. "We need to think about how we want to do this, Rose." Hawk stood as well. "We can't just attack an almighty witch without some sort of plan." Rose smirked. "It'll be like the old times! We'll just rush to the scene of crime,  make it all up as we go-it should be good fun, Hawk!" I shook my head. "Rose, Reilyn is extremely dangerous. She's descended from a line of warlocks-I'm not sure who the line started with-but the point is she possesses the power of all her ancestors. She's capable of taking away our magic in a split second-who knows what else she can do?" Rose looked like she had more to say, but she kept quiet nonetheless. "Fine. We won't jump into it. We'll go around researching Reilyn." I nodded. "But where should we start?"

Rose smirked. "This I can help with. Let's use the globe to summon Reilyn. We'll tie her up and ask her before attacking!" I held my head. "Rose, the point is to investigate her without her knowing! If we tie Reilyn up, she could use some non verbal spell or something on us!" Rose looked confused. "So.... we spy on her?" I nodded. "Well then, let's get to it!" Rose raised her wand. "Hear me now, in the palace of the beast, conjure us up a delightful feast!" I turned to face the table, watching in awe as a tablecloth was laid down on it perfectly. Gold-rimmed plates appeared on the table and goblets made of diamonds shimmered into existence next. Perfectly cooked, amazingly fragrant lamb chops descended onto the plate on front of me. 

Hawk gasped in delight upon seeing an apple pie materialize on the plate in front of him. Rose had already tucked into her hamburger, a can of soda sitting next to her goblet. I looked at my own goblet, now filled with hot chocolate. Hawk's probably had apple juice. "Wow, Rose!" Hawk and I chorused. Rose laughed. "Just a bit of magic I taught myself when I was in hiding. Now eat up so we can get going!" Ignoring the knife and fork next to my plate, I grabbed a lamb chop and took a massive bite. Flavour exploded in my mouth. The lamb was just perfect! Hawk seemed to be quite enjoying his apple pie; there were nothing but crumbs left on his plate. He was now drinking heartily from his goblet. I ate the lamb chops as fast as I possibly could. Rose was right-we had no time to spare at the moment. 

Once we'd finished our food and drink (I hadn't quite finished that amazing hot chocolate, so Rose had conjured a cup with her Pumpkin Magic for me) Rose tidied up the table with a flick of her wand and we hurried down to the mirror. "Where to?" Rose asked, watching me play with the joystick. "Well, we'll be paying the Archives a visit today." Rose looked excited. "All right. Just jump into the portal when you're ready." Rose nodded before  bringing her hands up into a streamline position and springing up, disappearing into the blue fog. Hawk jumped in next and I followed, leaving the palace behind.  

The fog cleared to reveal a small, pristine neighborhood-Trembroke was the name of the town. I stepped forward. "This is Trembroke. It's where Reilyn's other was raised." I walked forward through streets of whitewashed brick houses, Hawk and Rose trailing behind me. As the streets progressed, the house seemed to get bigger and grander. Cottages turned to villas, villas turned turned to mansions, mansions turned to manors and manors turned to hectare-wide estates. "Trav-WHAT IN THE NAME OF SNOW WHITE IS THAT?" Hawk pointed at the castle stretching miles into the sky. 

I noticed that night had fallen when I looked up at the castle

I noticed that night had fallen when I looked up at the castle. "Well, this is the Devon family's palace." Rose gasped. "As in the Devon warlock? The one we studied last year?" I nodded gravely. "Yes. The Warlock of Devon became a king as per legend of a Regal town. The Warlock laid heavy enchantments on the land of High End. This land. Region. Whatever you want to call it, really. He married the witch Gretchen of the Ice Plains-that's where the Crystal Palace is-which was quite controversial since Gretchen was a lowly maid. She became a queen, and together, The Warlock and Gretchen created the Devon witch line by marring one another." Hawk looked confused. "How does that-" I stopped Hawk. "If you and Rose were to get married, you would create a bond between the Cinderellas and Snow Whites." Hawk looked thoughtful. "Yeah, I can see that..." I stifled a laugh. 

"Well, anyway, The Warlock was alive hundreds of thousands of years ago. Over the generations, Devon witches married witches to bring more power into their line, all in the attempt to have another Warlock born in the family. That hope was placed in Reilyn's mother-the calculation of the wizards and witches led to her being the new Warlock of Devon." Rose nodded. "But she turned out no powers." I looked up. "And that's why they threw her out, isn't it? Just because she didn't have magic." I turned to face Rose. "And so you think the gene may have skipped a generation." I smirked. "That's what we're trying to find out. I think Reilyn might be the new Warlock.... but that's only going to be confirmed if we can get the truth by sneaking into the palace."

Hawk just about snorted. "Absolutely not! I will not sneak into that palace. I will walk in, because I am a Snow White and should be shown the utmost respect-" Rose rolled her eyes. "For god's sake, Hawk! Do you have a death wish?" Hawk winked back. "Should I? Would you quit bossing me around then?" I cleared my throat. Hawk and Rose looked at their feet awkwardly. "We are sneaking in, like it or not." Rose nodded, raising her wand and tapping Hawk with it. Hawk shimmered out of existence, not to be seen or heard.She tapped her wand against me before tapping it to herself. About a minute later, I could both see and hear Hawk and Rose. "You can do non-verbal magic?" Hawk looked mesmerized. Rose just smiled, well aware that she had mastered her magic to a state the rest of us were not even close to.

"Let's go blow this place up."

Now that the trio have arrived at the Devon palace, they must spy on the family and obtain more information about whether or not Reilyn is the next Warlock. Will they succeed on their stealth mission or will they get caught by a family of all-powerful witches? Find out in the next chapter of Shattered!

There's the next chapter! Sorry for the late update-school opened this week and I was a bit busy 😅 Hope you are enjoying the book! 1.3K reads you guys-means a lot! Please follow me (I do follow people back) and if I follow you, please follow me! My followers get notifications on up-and-coming arrivals and will soon be able to view TRAILERS for new chapters of books and new books! I'll try to get the next part out by next week~ Stay safe, happy and healthy,

-WatchMeWhip13, your author