Renzo

💖 Don't forget to vote/comment! 💖

***Demetri's POV***

We walked towards the landmarks that Landon gave with conjecture. There were no buildings, no signs of life. An empty field sat in between a scattered orchard of dying trees.

"Um, we might have been lead astray." Lindsay guessed with a look of bewilderment.

"Everyone search the ground." I ordered.

The faces of Jak and Max made me uneasy.

"Alpha Demetri, I'm not sure she is her." Jak stated while scratching his neck and nibbling his bottom lip aggressively.

"We search, leave no stone left unturned." Alex demanded.

In a straight line, we processed the barren earth beneath our boots. We walked off grids as we stared straight towards the dead grass that crunched under our feet.

Every foot of land we covered, created an aching thrum in my stomach.

She had to be here. Somewhere.

After half the field had been covered, I decided to change tactics.

"Alright, we aren't getting anywhere. We shift and use our heightened senses. We aren't leaving until "L" is found." I commanded.

I jumped into the air and landed as Renzo made an appearance.

"Ok, Buddy! I'm counting on you. Find Collin's mother." I stated.

"I got you." Renzo promised.

Collin came up from our backside and immediately shifted. We weren't sure what her scent would be. We just hoped we could catch a break.

Hours collapsed as darkness seeped thru the sun's warm glow. We were exhausted. I was struggling to keep our party focused.

I saw Efran shift and we all followed quickly.

"Here!" Efran bellowed over the fields.

We rushed to his side and began digging around a rusted metal hatch.

Collin grabbed the hatch, ripping it from its corroded hinges.

The smell made me gag.

Lindsay and Alisa began emptying their stomachs among the brittle blades of grass.

"Let's go." I screamed.

One by one we descended the flimsy ladder to the bottom of the underground dungeon.

Tools of torture lined the walls. Blood had been sprayed along the concrete flooring.

The smell of rotten flesh, bodily fluids and sweat saturated the thick air.

We walked in darkness down the long corridor, listening for sounds of life.

We were not prepared for what laid before us as we pulled open a door at the end of the hall.

Chained to the wall, emaciated, a skeletal figure laid stone still.

Collin remained frozen in a state of utter shock.

I ran towards the lifeless captive and searched for a heartbeat.

"Alive." I yelled.

Efran and Max each took turns breaking the sturdy manacles that tied the victim to it's pier.

The withering form dropped slowly into my awaiting arms.

We ran thru the underground bomb shelter towards the hatch. I carried the body in my arms, chanting prayers, we could get it to the medic in time.