39

Adora woke with a jolt as Catra pushed off her frame, curling into herself with a shiver. "Catra what—"

"I'm fine," her voice sounded shaky. "I thought you'd be a better liar."

Catra shook and tensed against the blonde's hand. Adora rubbed her back. "You can talk to me. If you want."

Catra shook her head. "It was..it was Shadow Weaver, that's all." Adora frowned and touched the girl's chin, both now facing each other. "She can't hurt anyone anymore, I'm sure of it."

"I know that!" Catra covered her face. "But I don't trust her..she could hurt anyone. Even Sparkles."

"Aww, you care about her? How sweet," Adora teased. Catra glared at her like she wanted to commit a felony. "Ok, anyway. Catra, I know what she's done now. I can protect you!"

"I don't need protection! Adora, you realize that maybe, you should work on your hero complex?!" Catra stood up and hugged herself, angrily sneering out the obvious.

Adora huffed and crossed her arms. "I don't have a hero complex.."

"That's the funniest thing I've ever heard! You should be a comedian instead of She-Ra!" Catra maimed. She growled lowly deep in her through. "How do you know what a comedian is and not a chicken?!" Adora asked frantically.

"That's not important!!"

"You're not helping." Catra said lowly.

Adora went silent. "See? You have a hero complex idiot."

"That doesn't prove anything!!"

"If I told you that you were the most useless person in the world and can't help anyone no matter how hard you try, that wouldn't offend you? At all?" Catra's brows closed together angrily.

"That would offend anyone!" Adora talked back.

"Adora, as your best friend, what if I said I never cared about you?"

"Do you not..?" Adora asked faintly. Catra rolled her eyes. "I—no comment. Anyway that's not a point."

Catra sat back down. "Shadow Weaver..she was saying that you were going to leave me again and this time never come back because of how useless I am."

"Catra you know that's not true."

"I'm aware. It just..scared me. Because for a second I thought she was right.."

"Catra.."

Adora reached out but stopped. "I'm sorry. If I had known that she was still messing with you so much I would've—"

"Adora."

The two stared at each other. "We protect each other. I'm strong. You're strong. You don't need to play hero."

"I know, but still. She hurt you and I could've done something!"

"She hurt you too." Catra looked away and smiled. "You're such a goody-two-shoes because of her."

"Did she make you act like such a meanie then?" Adora slid into the conversation. "Wh—oh please, you're just a baby!"

The sky brightened and the stars disappeared. The two girls got up and dusted themselves off. "...Just do it, I know you want to," Adora sighed.

"What? You mean—" Catra kicked the fire, catching a piece and slamming into the ground. "—this?"

"Ugh, yes. Can we go?"

"Gladly," Catra got back up and followed behind her comrade in arms.

%==%

A couple hours later they spotted a lot of smoke. "Refugees?"

"No way." Catra ran into that direction and stopped at the head of a cliff. "We're here."

Adora ran after her and almost fell off, if not for Catra pulling her by the shoulder. "Thanks—no way!!"

The two slid down the cliff carefully and Catra landed first, catching Adora in the princess way. "Nice to see you drop in~."

"Oh shut up.."

Catra our the blonde down and they walked into the smoke.

Inside of it there was a lot of people. Like, a lot of people. Almost like a second Crimson Waste, but almost all were just Horde soldiers. Catra and Adora tensed as they walked through. The citizens gave them death glares as they walked through.

One person grabbed Catra by the tail and shoved her to the ground. "Hey! What the fu—"

"YOU! You fucking Horde scum! I hope you rot in hell for what you did to us!"

Adora pulled her up and the two kept walking. "You ok?"

"..yeah.."

%==%

The building was filled with people as well. Most of them glared, some of them shouted. One person tried to grab at Adora but Catra got in the middle of it, getting a good kick in the thigh which would bruise soon.

"Catra, you didn't have to.."

"Yeah, but I deserved that.."

The two walked up to a familiar door, which had a person standing in front of it. "What the—HELL. No! Why is she here?!" The person yelled. Passerby stopped and stared. "Look, we're just here to find the leader of this place." Adora defended. "Oh, so the great and mighty She-Ra is defending a fucking rat like you?" They pointed at Catra menacingly. "I want to talk to your leader." Adora asked again. "Our leader is none of your fucking business, traitor."

People slowly creeped around them, some having weapons. Catra turned around to them. She took a deep breath in. "I'm here for punishment."

"Catra no!" Adora whisper-yelled. "If I want the best punishment possible, wouldn't I just need to see who you guys are working for..?"

Catra started to front again, taunting them with her stance. "Give us one good reason we should listen to you!" The people yelled.

"You shouldn't. You should ask She-Ra."

Adora glared at Catra, grabbing her wrists. "Are you nuts?!"

"Probably." Catra yelled. "Either I get there with your help or I'll find it myself."

"You shouldn't—"

"Stop speaking up for her!"

Another person came in and grabbed Catra by the neck, shoving her into the wall. "Catra!!"

"Haha, now, we can finally be free from the likes of you!"

Catra braced herself but instead she got dropped.

"What..?"

"Take her to see Lonnie."

"Wait what?! Lonnie is the boss here??" Adora gasped.

The blonde suddenly felt someone grab her by the waist, putting a cloth that smelled funny to her mouth. "Adora!!" Catra unsheathed her claws but others grabbed her and did the same thing. "Don't fucking touch her, it's me you want!!" She screamed.

"Oh please; I'm sure it'd be a fun family reunion~."

Catra felt her body go limp. "Adora no!!"

"Catra-"

Everything went black.