The Freind in San Francisco: Fourteen

"L-lance. . . I can't do this! " Walter said with a shaky voice. He hugged himself as he backed away from the edge of the tall building.

"You've done it before. Why can't you do it now?"

"B-because the way we practiced there were mats at the bottom! And this is higher!" He said while pulling on the straps of his bag. "I don't think I'm cut out to be a spy. . ."

"You can do more than you think, " Lance said to him, putting a hand on his shoulder. "Where is my optimistic little partner?"

"I'm just-- worried I'll mess something up, "

"You are not going to fuck up anything-"

"That's a bad word to use-"

"Get used to it- What I'm trying to say is, you are thinking about it wayyy too much, " Lance said. "All I want you to do is jetpack from this building to that one-" he pointed at another tall building, though it wasn't as tall as the one they were on now.

"It's easy for you to say, " Walter raised an eyebrow as he looked down at the rest of the city; they looked like tiny remote control toy cars.

"Come on! you made the darn thing!"

"But I never used it like this! A-and it still needs some fixing!"

"Walter, " He looked at him straight in the eyes, stern. "You can do this, you are a spy. A few years from now and you'll be as good as me, maybe a little less. Cause you know, no one can top me."

Walter stared down at the road small cars again, and the tiny people strolling on the side.

'It's amazing how much you can see from a bird's view' he thought. The sun was setting; orange and red colliding together. He was thinking when suddenly he felt a sudden small push of his shoulders.

"Lance, what are you doing?"

"Getting you going, " he said as he continued to slowly push him.

"L-lance no, i-i can't do it! Not today please!" Walter panicked, his breathing becoming rapid. "NO LANCE! STOP!"

Lance picked him up from the back of his shirt, dangling him off the edge. "Walter. . . Breathe."

Breathe. . . he did just that. Glancing at the warm-colored sky.

Lance only gave him a moment before he let go.

"LaNCE!" Walter screamed with a crack in his voice. He was falling. Falling. Lance stared at him from above.

Walter rapidly flailed his hand towards the button near the back of his bag and pressed it. His body immediately jolted up, up and up towards the sky.

He could barely control it, smoke coughed out of the back, he could feel its heat. But he could see the other building. It was his mission now. 

Walter tried his best, he clicked and unclicked, up and down, it might have looked awkward on the ground but that was the only method he had, a slow one it was. Only until he had an idea. His frantically pulled out his muti-pen and clicked, pointing the head at the building, and it shot out some a thick string of pink goo. He yanked on it, pulling himself towards the building, and after a minute or two, he dropped in dead fear on top of the roof of it.