Half-Ass Father: Forty

.
.
.

There were sudden sounds in the night that Wendy couldn't explain. It was late, nearly twelve, the house was still in total darkness but she woke up with a jolt, hearing a tiny voice of frustration from the other room.

As she slowly sat up from her bed she caught a glimpse of small light appearing under the crack of the door. She sighed at this heavily and opened it, following the light from her sons' room.

She heard a small gasp and a pitter-patter of feet that seemed to be in a rush. . . Then she caught eyes with him, the little toddler was trying to hurry back to bed, unseen. Unfortunately, it didn't work out for him, his small tush was pushed in the air, he was too small to climb the bed.

"Walterrrrr, " the mom said, crossing her arms as she gazed upon her son. "How did you get out of your crib again?"

Walter slid slowly off the bed, fixing his footie pajamas while he stared at the ground in shame, his chubby cheeks puffed in a pout. "Ma ma."

She knelt down next to him and fixed his messy brown head of hair. "Geez-- I really need to buy a new crib for you, you keep escaping all of them. What are you doing up this late, hun?"

Little Walter wabbled over to an object on the side of the crib, picking it up with two hands and walking back to his mother. "Thus-"

"Oh?" Wendy took it from him, raising a brow while she stared at the object. There was a flashlight attached to a pole like item which was attached to another plastic object with duck tape. "What is this?"

"I show you?" Walter questioned, his large blue orbs shining as he stared up at her. . . Once he was handed his little invention back, he set it upon the windowsill behind some transparent paper. He turned them towards a wall by his room and switched on the flashlight. . . What appeared was an outline of an old family picture: Walter, Wendy, and Ward Beckett.

"What is this for?" His mom said in awe.

"Signaling, " He replied with a smile.

"Signaling?"

"Dad. He's lost. We signal him back and he'll see the picture but it doesn't work right now. . . It's not bright enough to signal. . ."

His mother sighed heavily, then giggled. "Like a boat?"

He nodded.

She wanted to say-- 'I'm sorry Walter, but I don't think signaling him like that would work,' But, she didn't, instead she told him. "I'll. . . get you a brighter flashlight when we head home tomorrow. . . But, this is very smart thinking. . . Kinda scary almost." Wendy pulled him in for a hug, squeezing his little cheeks. "Where do you learn all this stuff? You're not even in kindergarten yet! My boy's a genius!" She exclaimed while holding him up in the air.

Walter laughed at this, feeling his mother pinch his nose. "But, you need to get to bed, you have daycare in the morning."

"Aww!"

"I know, I know. . .Boy, am I gonna miss your soft little voice when you grow older. . .Come on, let's get to bed."