A Simulation Performace: Twenty-Six

(The winner of the raffle will be announced at the end of the chapter!)

LANCE

The hands around his throat were cold and cruel; pressing harder and making him choke for air

The hands around his throat were cold and cruel; pressing harder and making him choke for air. Out of everything, he didn't think he would have to do this. It was such a brutal and harsh way of 'teaching.'

Lance's arm pushed softly up against fake Walter's chest, in an attempt to push him off; his back against the steel wall. Sweat ran from his forehead to his neck and he kept tears from falling, he couldn't do it, this was torture, he can't kill Walter, even if it was only a fake one. . . He can't.

He was growing weaker and weaker. And as soon as he felt the dark creep in the corners of his vision, he fell on the ground helpless.

"That's enough for today 'Tom,'" Alice said. She stood in the corner of the room, watching them and letting out a dissatisfied sigh. "Is it really that hard Lance?"

'Tom' walked next to Alice, turning back into the middle-aged man he had first seen, while Lance coughed and stood with shaking knees.

"Will it disappoint you to say yes? I-it is very hard, " Lance replied, trying to sound confident and collected.

"Yes, it does disappoint me. . . I don't see what's so special about Walter Beckett, " The little girl puffed her cheeks. "It pains me to do this to you."

"Have you ever had someone you cared so much for you would risk your life for them?" Lance asked with bared teeth.

"No. Why would I need to?"

"Then you will never get it. . . You won't ever know the pain that this causes me."

Alice tilted her head. "The hero isn't supposed to have a weakness. . ."

"This hero does, " Lance pointed at himself. "And so does many others."

"Mmmm--"

"I say the best thing we can do is to kill off Walter Beckett. That would get him going, " 'Tom' suggested.

"DON'T YOU DARE TOUCH HIM!" Lance yelled, he was going insane in this room of nothing.

"No 'Tom, '" Alice said. "He'll learn soon enough, but we don't have to kill him."

'Tom' scoffed. "Lady Alice, with all due respect--" he began but was interrupted.

"Who's the boss here?"

"You. . . Of course. . ."

"How long are you going to keep me here? . . How long are you going to keep doing this to me, " Lance asked harshly while holding his head in agony; it pounded with pain.

"Until you are able to kill your weakness of course," she said. "You will learn."

OWEN