𝐓𝐖𝐎 MEMORIES

VASTLY

a/n: the italic font is maeve's flashs backs

CHAPTER TWENTY

The sky was filled with ash, no sunlight seeping through the clouds, for they made no room for the sun. Ash fell from the heavens, landing softly on the broken ground, rubble was found everywhere, the houses that once stood tall, were flat, no longer existed for they had been brought to the ground, there was no sign of life, where there were once busy streets was complete and utter silence, the earth no longer shook for it had no reason to, the ground was riddled in gaping trenches, so deep that you couldn't even see the bottom, the rubble was in piles as well as scattered around the earth's surface, fires were set around almost every turn, burning what little land it could reach. It was chaos, the screams that were echoing moments ago were silent for they were long gone, but the blonde little girl who stood in the middle of it could still hear the screams, they were muffled, all words inaudible, she could see their ghosts all most run by her in slow motion in a blur.

The newly six year old blonde was covered head to toe in dirt, her long sleeves that belonged to her shirt had been burnt though leaving burnt out holes, tears ran down her dirty cheeks making tear streaks, washing away the dirt in their path down her cheeks, no words escaped her mouth, no sound left her, for she was silent, this was all but a dream, this couldn't be real.

The dead bodies were seen all around, heads, arms, legs emerging from the rubble, bloodied and broken, submerged in the ground. The 6-year-old looked down towards the two people beside her for they had suffered the most, their eyes burn leaving nothing in their sockets but a black abyss, their mouths agape as their heads were turned up, looking up at her, more tears ran down her face for she knew these people, she loved these people, it was her parents. Her father's blonde hair was stained with blood along with his tan skin, blood and dirt covered both mother and father, a sob escaped her dry throat, the first noise to leave her mouth.

The child fell to her knees, leaning forward until on all fours, her hands gripping the earth beneath her, the dirt embedding itself under her nails, but she did not care.

Maeve Weaver let out a scream of bloody Mary, her voice breaking at the volume and the ground shook beneath her, the pain that began to build in her throat became so sever she didn't know if she would ever speak again. Her eyes glowed a bright yellow yet again as her scream continued, gripping the ground tighter as a yellow glow moved from her elbows to her fingertips, the familiar feeling overcoming her, her blonde locks raising off her shoulder as her scream died down, her unbalanced abilities taking control of her person once again. The ground began to shake severely as the yellow glow shinned brighter and began to move from her arms to all over her body, covering her face, her stomach and legs, until there was no more Maeve, for Maeve was no longer in control. This was Shudder, the darkest and most brightest part of her, the part she would always fear all her life, the part that reminded her she would never been in full control, for you could not control something that is a part of you no matter how hard you try and forget.