Chapter 25

Meanwhile Fahad's POV:

"It's been a while." I initiated the conversation while trying to ignore the cold aura that Rubab was emitting. How can a girl be this expressionless? I can't tell what she is thinking. This is giving me anxiety. She is a girl after all. How hard can it be to read her?

"Hmmm." I heard her murmur. Okay, maybe a little hard.

"I was expecting your call." I continued as I looked at her face from the side mirror because she had her face turned away from me.

"You had no reason to expect it." Ouch, that kind of hurt.

"So does that mean things are fine with Zohaib and your family?" I was genuinely curious. She had denied the help of Fahad Abroo after all. Women crave my attention. They want me. They need me even if they don't realize it at first. The hell is wrong with this ice block?

"Yes. This matter does not concern you." She looked at me. Her eyes were empty. How was she able to do this? Did her parents drop her on her head as an infant? Did it mess with her brain functions or something? Does she feel nothing?

"I was just offering to help." I raised my hands to show that I came in peace.

"I don't remember asking for it." Well, she had a point. An awkward silence fell on us. So I admit, this was difficult. Women are usually open books. That Zoya is easy to read. Even Misha. How did they even befriend this rock?

"Are you always like this?" The words left my mouth before I could stop them. I was hoping to filter it but oh well, it is what it is. This might have caught her attention because she turned to me with those dead fish eyes of hers.

"Like what?"

"Devoid of emotion?" She blinked. Once. Twice. Well, that was new.

"Yes." Single word answers now? What's next? Silent treatment? Did I offend her? I CAN'T TELL AT ALL.

"You looked really beautiful on your engagement." I meant every single word of this compliment. She looked stunning  even though she was wearing minimal makeup.

"Thank you." I don't know if it was possible to tell a difference in her tone but she sounded a little less hostile. "An engagement that I really wish hadn't happened though." Did I sense guilt in her voice? It was hard to tell with her face completely turned.

"It wasn't your fault." I answered casually. I felt like she wanted to hear this.

"How can you say that?" There was pain in her voice. Not a lot. But I could still feel it. Her voice was softer than before. I glanced in her direction to see that she was already staring at me. Her face was emotionless but there was a spark in her eyes. I felt my heart beat pick up speed. I had to choose my next words carefully. She was finally showing an interest and I didn't want to mess it up.

"All I know is, you only did what your parents wanted you to do. It's not your fault that your fiancée turned out to be a psychopath. This wasn't something you could avoid because you never talked to the guy before the engagement." I explained calmly. I hope I was playing it safe. I usually said whatever crap came to my mind and the women would still be flattered but I felt like I had to tread carefully with her. A part of me really wanted to understand her. She was so different. She had fallen silent. Did I say the wrong thing? Is this not what she wanted to hear?

"I never wanted to disappoint them." She replied after a while and I internally heaved a sigh of relief. So far so good. She was just contemplating my words.

"And you didn't disappoint them." I countered but she didn't let me continue as she intervened.

"But I did. The way they looked at me when I told them I wanted to break that engagement was so painful to see." She already told them? I had expected her to sit silently and not utter a word to her family. Rubab Shah, you were surprising me with every action you were taking. You really didn't need my help? That annoys me for some reason. I concealed my surprise as I thought about my response.