Chapter 64

Rubab's POV:

My heart had stopped when I saw Fahad at the door, grinning like a Cheshire cat. I spotted a car, an Audi to be precise, a little distance from my main gate. I instantly recognized Kamran sitting inside playing with his phone. The light flickering from the phone made his features all the more obvious. Oh God. Zoya was inside. I had to get rid of him as soon as possible. He must not know that Zoya is here.

"What are you doing here?" I whispered yelled as I held unto the door ready to slam it into his face any minute but he kept a hand on the door's edge as if he knew. He knew my next move already.

"Well, love you do realize we are beyond pretend lovers now right? It's been a while so I just wanted to check up on you." Fahad smirked as his eyes shined in a satanic way. "I am sure your parents won't mind. I should stay close to you, you never know what Zohaib could be planning."

"You should leave." I threw on my impeccable bitch face as I looked at him without a hint of emotion. I couldn't let this snake know that Zoya was here. He needed to leave. I didn't care about myself right now but Kamran cannot find out about Zoya. He just cannot. If he belongs to that family, Zoya's life could be in danger. I slowly tried to close the door but Fahad held unto the door and slowly pushed it in my direction while keeping the smile on his face.

"What's the rush? We never finished the conversation from the hospital. Why are you avoiding me? Are you hiding something from me?"

"I am busy today. I will tell you some other time." I felt my voice speed up and I noticed the expression on Fahad's face change. He was focusing on my facial features. I felt like I was being observed under a microscope. One slight mistake and he would know. He had picked up on my anxiety. I had to change strategies. I had to do something. Anything before Fahad gets a hint of Zoya being here. He will tell Kamran and then all hell will break loose.

"You seem nervous, ice queen. It's not like you. Did I catch you at a bad time perhaps?" Fahad was stalling. He was dragging the conversation longer than it needed to go. I wanted to dodge him, no better yet, I wanted to get rid of him. And I think I had an idea on what would work.

"Maybe we should stop this lover thing once and for all. I mean Zohaib isn't here anymore and I am grateful to you for that but you and I both know that this, as in us, won't work." I had to say this eventually so why not now? It was better for him to know I wasn't interested in his games. We both knew how insincere he was and that this wasn't going to last so why lead each other on like that? Fahad was silent for a few seconds and then for a fraction of a second, I saw his eyes turn darker despite the street light brightening up his eyes.

"So you are telling me, now that you have used me, you are going to cast me aside?" His words stung but the look on his face said something else. He didn't look hurt. He looked angry. The silent type. I had taken a psychology course and I felt his face morph into something ominous for a few seconds before turning normal again. "It doesn't work like that, Rubab. You should be careful with what you wish for." There wasn't a hint of amusement on his face as he said those words. He looked at me closely for a couple of seconds.

"I need to study for a test right now so you should leave. I have nothing further to say." I managed to say the words without rushing myself this time. Fahad was emitting a dark aura as he took a step towards me causing me to flinch.

"It won't end like this. It won't end at all, Rubab. Nobody-" Fahad was cut off when we both heard the turn of the door knob indicating someone was stepping outside of the wooden door. I felt my heart beat speed up as my fear spiked. Please don't be Zoya.

"Rubab, what-" I heard her familiar sound and so did Fahad as the look on his face changed completely. He slowly shifted in place so he could look behind me and when he did, I felt my heart stop and I was sure, so did Zoya's. I didn't need to look at Zoya's expression to know what she was thinking.

In a nutshell, both of us were doomed.

"Oh, what a surprise. Welcome back, Zoya." His words were anything but welcoming. The amusement from before had appeared on his face, the dark aura slowly dissipating as he looked from me to Zoya. Mischief played in the snake's eyes as he looked back at me. "Is that why you were in a rush, hmm? You should have told me before that you had friends over."

I was tempted to close the door on his face but I knew he would rush to tell Kamran about his discovery. As if on cue, Fahad cast a playful stare towards Kamran who was still busy with his phone. I felt the dread take over me as Fahad turned his body towards the car.

"Looks like we won't be having a discussion after all since I need to reveal this wonderful news to Kamran." Fahad was about to step away but I grabbed his arm and pulled him inside.

"Don't tell Kamran." I felt my voice break at the end but I was not going to show this man weakness. Not again. The last one had costed me dearly. I was still suffering its consequences.

"Oh, the ice queen is begging? What is in it for me?" Fahad turned back to me while looking at his arm with an interested look. "I thought you wanted to sever all ties with me."

"What do you want?" Zoya whispered from the door, hissing under her breath.

"What makes you think I will hide something this crucial from Kamran? I get nothing out of this."

"You must have a price. Something that will keep you quiet. Say it." Zoya was keeping her distance from the gate as if she knew that Kamran was standing on the other side. Maybe her danger alarms had gone off or maybe she could just sense our doom.

"Oh, well there is something I want." This man was playing games. There was evil sparking in his eyes as he looked at the two of us, almost sympathetically.

"What?" Zoya snapped but then calmed down.

"A date with Rubab. To improve our relations and fix any misunderstandings we have. In better words, I want to make this so called game a reality."

"No way." The words left Zoya's mouth before I could stop her but it was too late. Fahad's grin only widened. He had us cornered. He knew I had issues with him and he was going to exploit them whole heartedly. We had given ourselves away.

"Well then, it's you or her. Looks like Kamran's day is about to be made." Fahad took a step back but my grip on his wrist tightened so he halted to look at it with a raised eyebrow.

"Alright. I will do it." I couldn't let Zoya get hurt, she already had gone through enough. If I had to drag this pretend game on for a little longer, long enough so that Zoya could escape again then so be it. If he thinks I am surrendering so be it. But he couldn't be more wrong about his judgement because I will melt through his hands, I will spill away like sand. He won't ever understand or trap me like all the other women in his traps. I will set free and escape. I will make sure Zoya escapes too.

"Well then, my lips are sealed. Kamran won't find out a thing. You have my word. Shall we go on a date sometime soon then?" I let go of Fahad's wrist instinctively

"Sure." The ice that I thought had cracked under his pressure regained its strength as I mirrored his emotions.

And just like that, a game started. A game of frost and flames. It was only a matter of time before one gave in to the other. Was it going to be the fire melting the ice or was it the frost that would kill the flames?

Author's Note:

Well, we all know you love double updates so here we are. 

Ruhad and Zoran will now continue in ATOH because the finale of this book is coming and its primary focus will obviously be the wedding of our main couple: Misha and Ibraheem. The official wedding preparations and events are going to take place from now on. 

Let the shadi begin!