VIII

Anakin's POV

My lightsaber hummed and vibrated in my hand as I sliced through the last droid, I looked around the room and caught my breath. Droids littered the floor and all of them were sliced in half or crushed into a ball by the force, I pressed the button on my lightsaber and the glowing blue blade disappeared back inside the hilt. The vibrating stopped and I frowned down at the weapon placing it back on my belt, I slammed my fist against the red button on the wall and the floor opened up and all the broken droids fell down into a pit of darkness, the floor folded back up and I sighed and sat on the bench letting myself cool down.

I had been in here all night destroyed and ripping apart droids to focus my mind on something else other than the number of clones I had lost in battle. I inspected my lightsaber and in seemed fine on the outside but it kept vibrating in my hand which wasn't supposed to happen. When I constructed my very first lightsaber with Obi-wan he told me that if a lightsaber vibrates in your hand then it's not the right crystal, he said the lightsaber will most likely not even be put together but I had found the right crystal and my lightsaber lit up. So why was it playing up now?

I let out a frustrated sigh before standing up and leaving the training room, the war was at its peak now and almost all the Jedi were out on missions and other things and you only got to spend a few days on Coruscant before you had to be shipped out again for another mission. Sometimes if you were lucky you got a week off before you were sent out again.

I climbed into a speeder and rose into the air, the traffic in Coruscant was horrible but it wasn't too bad since it was early in the morning. I stopped in front of the platform outside Padme's apartment and climbed out, I could sense that Padme was awake and a smile spread on my face. I briefly forgot about the clones I had lost and my lightsaber being weird as I stepped into the apartment.

"Padme?" I called slightly cautiously.

I heard footsteps and then she appeared, her serious beautiful face broke into a wide smile and she ran over to me and threw her arms around my neck. I hugged her back and picked her up, spinning her around a few times before setting her back down. She pulled away and placed her hands on my cheeks and kissed me.

"People were saying that you had been shot down months ago," she whispered fearfully.

"I'm alright, I would've come earlier but as you know the healers love me so much that they kept me there for 2 days when I didn't even need to be there. I had some stuff to sort out yesterday so I couldn't come until today," I explained.

"You could've called," she pointed out.

I hesitated and mentally slapped myself for not thinking about it sooner.

"For a General, you're not really smart when it comes to the smaller things," Padme teased.

I chuckled and wrapped her in a hug finally letting out everything in a sigh.

"You have to go again soon, don't you?" she asked pulling away.

"Probably, but right now. I'm here, I won't have long left here though," I replied. 

Padme smiled at me sadly and we sat down on the couch, I squeezed her hand reassuringly and she leaned her head against my shoulder.

"The war has already been going on for a year, it doesn't look like it's going to slow down anytime soon. I'm just worried about you," she admitted.

I sighed and closed my eyes briefly, it had been 6 months since I last saw Padme but it didn't even feel like it was that long. It felt like I saw Padme not long ago but in reality, it had been half a year. Ahsoka had left 6 months ago as well but it felt like she had only left 2 weeks ago.