XXII

Ahsoka's POV

I almost didn't believe him when he said he was Anakin Skywalker, when I first heard his voice in the dark cell I recognised it but once we got out into the light and I got a good look at him I didn't know him. I almost thought someone else was pretending to be my Master but he had the same eyes, build, face and voice as him, once we were on board I didn't know what was going on. I didn't know half of the 501st and the ones that I did know didn't seem to remember me that well, I found myself standing next to Rex in the cockpit, it was good to see him again and thankfully he didn't seem to hate me for leaving the Order or coming back.

Anakin came into the cockpit and I got a good look at him again, he wore black Jedi robes instead of the protective armour and his hair had grown out a bit. The last time I saw him his hair was still sort of styled the same as when he was a Padawan but it was a bit longer, but now his hair was a mousy brown and it was a little bit wavy/curly. He had a scar on the outside of his right eye going down that definitely wasn't there the last time I saw him. When he walked into the room the mood dampened slightly and it became very serious which was unlike him, when he'd walk into the cockpit before, the mood would lighten a bit and wouldn't feel as pressured but now it was the complete opposite. 

He made sure the ship was running before talking to the two Jedi Knights and I frowned, he didn't even look at me or mention me. 

"Are you alright, Commander?" Rex asked from beside me.

"That is Anakin, right?" I asked.

Rex chuckled and looked at his General who had his arm folded across his chest as he listened to the Jedi Knights who seemed a little intimidated by him.

"Yes, it is," Rex sighed.

"I guess a lot can change in two years huh," 

"Yeah, at first it was a slow change but within the past few months he's changed a lot," Rex explained.

"Did anything specific happen within these past few months?" I asked.

Rex froze and didn't meet my gaze.

"I don't think I'm the right person to tell you this," Rex muttered.

"Tell me, Rex," I said, anxiety building up in my stomach.

Rex hesitated and looked around to make sure no one else was listening, he had his helmet off like the other clones since Anakin has always allowed it.

"General Kenobi died a few months ago," he basically whispered.

My stomach dropped and dread flooded in and my face fell, I almost didn't believe him, how could Obi-wan die?

"D-Do you know how it happened?a" I asked shakily.

"He was shot by a Bounty hunter, General Skywalker was with him when it happened, it's kind of understandable that things would change after that," Rex replied.

I nodded and swallowed the lump in my throat as I looked back over at Anakin who was almost unrecognisable to me now. 

"I never expected Obi-wan to die, I was almost certain he'd make it through the war," I whispered.

"We all did, but the unexpected happens. No one was expecting him to be taken down by a Bounty Hunter by all things. I don't think General Skywalker was expected it either," Rex sighed.

"How's he been taking it so far?" 

"Not well, we barely see him and he's gotten stricter with his orders. He's always training and his presence just makes everyone around him shudder," he replied, "I'm sorry I was the one to tell you Commander,"

"No, no, it's fine. I'd rather hear it from you than anyone else. I doubt Anakin will talk to me for a while until he's forced to," I sighed.

Rex nodded and we talked about other things for a while, he asked me about what I did these past two years and I happily explained everything to him. 

Soon enough we landed and I nervously climbed out of the ship, the clones went in another direction and Anakin, the two other Jedi Knights and I walked towards Mace Windu and Yoda. The two Knights explained the situation with Plo Koon and the Jedi Masters nodded and told the two to get some rest and they left.

"The Separatists were sucked out into space, they're both dead," Anakin informed the two Jedi Masters.

"Very well, you can give a full report later today," Windu told Anakin.

Anakin nodded and Yoda looked at me and smiled, the two Jedi Masters turned their attention to me and Anakin walked off not even sparing me a glance.

"Hello, Masters," I said bowing my head nervously.

"Padawan Tano, good to see you, it is. Welcome back, is in store," Yoda greeted radiating warmth through the force around him making me smile. 

"Thank you, Master Yoda, it's good to be back," I replied.

"You were always welcome back here Padawan Tano, I'm glad you're back," Windu said.

The kindness from Windu was shocking and sort of off-putting. It was no secret that Master Windu didn't particularly like Master Skywalker, for reasons which we didn't really know, it might be because Anakin broke a lot of rules but we didn't know for sure. Naturally, Master Windu didn't like anyone that was close to Anakin, Master Windu kind of blamed Obi-wan for how Anakin turned out but he liked Obi-wan the most I would say. Me, being Master Skywalker's Padawan means he doesn't like me that much either because he thinks I'm turning out to be like him, which, I am, but I think that's a good thing.

"Thank you Master Windu," I replied. 

"Everything is the same, your dormitory is still yours," he said.

"Need you for the report, we do, later today," Yoda said.

"Of course Master, I'll be there," I replied. 

"Rest, in the meantime,"

I nodded my head and bowed before leaving the hanger and walking to the Temple, I saw the Temple up ahead and I looked up at the tall building and sighed. I never expected to walk back through these doors again, I didn't think I'd be welcome but I guess I was, well, by most people...