XXIII

Anakin's POV

I walked into the Council room and Ahsoka was already standing in the middle of the room, I looked at Obi-wan's empty chair and a quick flash of annoyance and anger flowed through me but I pushed it down and faced Windu and Yoda.

"You told us yesterday that the two Separatist leaders are dead, correct?" Windu asked.

"Yes, they were vacuumed out into space after a droid accidentally landed on the button," I half lied.

"Unfortunate, it is, but, end of the war, we are closer too," Yoda replied.

"Padwan Tano said that Master Plo Koon was taken by Count Dooku, we're entrusting you to find him and try and retrieve the Holocron at the same time. We know where the location of Dooku is but we don't know for certain if Master Plo Koon is there, that's what you'll need to find out," Windu explained, "We can give you a partner to go with you if you'd like,"

Windu's eyes flicked to Ashoka who was standing next to me, there was a gap between us, enough for another person to stand comfortably between us. I didn't intentionally stand away from her, I wasn't really thinking about it when I walked into the room. I could sense that the other Jedi Masters had noticed the gap between us as well but I pushed those thoughts out of my head.

"I'll be fine on my own, the fewer people in the building means we won't be caught as easily," I replied.

Ahsoka glanced at me but I continued to look forward, ignoring her completely and I could tell the other Jedi Masters were watching us closely. Most Jedi Masters liked Ahsoka and said she was a ray of sunshine and radiated hope especially when we were around each other but in the force, I could sense her force signature was reserved and slightly sad. 

"I agree but with someone else then there would also be a higher chance of saving Master Plo Koon and recovering the Holocron," Ki Audi Mundi added.

"I know but I can get the job done by myself," I said with a finalising tone to my voice.

"Very well, you may go on your own Skywalker, you two are dismissed," Windu said after a pause. 

I nodded my head and quickly left the Council room and Ahsoka ran to catch up to me and annoyance flickered within me but I didn't let it surface.

"Master Skywalker, we need to talk," she said planting herself in front of me with her arms folded across her chest.

"I have a mission to do, I don't have time to talk," I replied glaring at her.

"I don't care, we need to talk, the mission can wait for a few minutes," 

"Okay, fine, what is it?" I snapped.

Ahsoka gave me a reproachful look and her eyes hardened and I could feel her anger radiating around her. 

"I don't know, I've been gone for two years and when I come back you ignore me and basically pretend I don't exist," she ranted.

"Did you just expect me to pretend that everythings normal and back to the way things were? I spent ages trying to clear your name and I did everything I could to prove you were innocent and once you were cleared you threw everything out the window and just left!" I shouted.

"I didn't have a choice! No one trusted me and I couldn't stay!" she argued. 

"I trusted you, did that mean nothing to you?" 

"You would never understand what it's like to not have the Council trust you. Your trust meant a lot to me before but at that moment it wasn't enough to make me stay," she sighed.