XVIII

One week later

Obi-wan's POV

I was called into the briefing room and Yoda and Windu were the only ones in there, I was expecting to get an assignment earlier but with both Grievous and Dooku captured there wasn't much to do. We already had Ahsoka and a few other Jedi trailing the Separatists so they weren't a major problem, Ventress had been spotted a few days ago so we had some Jedi tracking her. 

"So, what's this about?" I asked looking at the holograms projected of Cad Bane and Rako Hardeen.

"These two have stolen a Jedi Holocron, it contains all the information about the Temple's security and files of all the Jedi in the Temple," Mace Windu explained, "We don't know why he wanted it but there is a sith lord out there that we don't know about, I think they're possibly taking the Holocron to them. However, they are in the depths of Coruscant and sources last spotted them there,"

"So do you want me to bring them in?" 

"No, we need to find out who this Master Sith lord is, so, you're going to go undercover as Rako Hardeen try and figure out who it is," Mace Windu explained.

"And how exactly are we going to do that? Without the real Hardeen spilling the beans and without anyone noticing I'm gone?" 

"Fake your death, you must, know this, no one else will," Yoda said.

"You want me to fake my death? How exactly am I supposed to do that?" I asked.

"You will go into the depths of Coruscant and chase Bane and Hardeen, they will most likely hide and hopefully Hardeen will get into a sniper position. I want you to locate where Hardeen is at all times and make sure he sees you, he'll snipe you. You'll be wearing a protective vest and take a vital depressor which will knock you unconscious, we'll get your transformation underway and then go deal with Hardeen," Windu explained.

"Risky, this plan is, counting on luck, we are," Yoda sighed, "Go with you, Skywalker will,"

"I beg your pardon Masters but I don't think Anakin coming is a good idea, he's always struggled to hold back his emotions and dangerous things could happen that could ruin everything," I interjected.

"Counting, on Skywalker's reaction we are, believable it will be," Yoda replied, "A close eye on him, we will keep," 

I wanted to protest against it but I knew this could play a big part in finding out who's behind the war and the sith. I nodded and Windu placed a hand on my shoulder.

"You'll be fine, don't worry about anything else other than your mission," he said.

I nodded and took a deep breath. I guess this was going to be payback for allowing Anakin and I to become to close.

An hour later we were jumping between rooftops in the middle of the night, the streetlamps provided a yellow eery glow. Everything has gone to plan, we found Cad Bane and Hardeen and we were now chasing them across rooftops and Anakin was chasing after Cad Bane. I saw Hardeen jump onto a taller building next to the one I was on but I pretended not to notice, I took a deep breathe and swallow the vital depressor and walked out from behind an electrical pole. 

The red blast came towards me and hit me in the chest, I gave a fake scream of pain and fell off the building onto the ground. That part actually kind of hurt but I closed my eyes and felt the vital pill do its work as darkness took over my vision. But before I blacked out I heard Anakin scream my name and a darkness that took over the force...

I woke up to bright med bay lights and it took me a while to realise what I had done and that I wasn't actually injured or dead. I sat up and waited for my eyes to adjust to the bright lights, I had a bit of a headache but other than that I was fine. Windu explained that I would be unconscious for a week and wake up after my 'funeral', I sighed and rubbed my eyes.