Changeling 8

I had myself checked into the local mental hospital in the morning, Everyone was worried about me, but they understood, it wasn't my first time staying at inpatient care.

I had to get away from my family before I hurt them like I'd hurt Liam's mom...

After explaining to them the events of the past week, the doctors prescribed me some sedatives and the first few days became a blur of oversleeping and going along the routine.

No more nightmares to disturb me...

I spent my days lazing around in pajamas, listening to music, doing discussion groups, and doing art therapy. The teen ward had a neutral sort of energy to it, it tried being homey but it also had that clean clinical feel. I was probably the only person in the world who liked hospitals...

***

Something woke me up in the night of my third day. I opened my eyes and saw my roommate was babbling in her sleep, tossing and turning. I considered waking her up when nurse crept into the room, I hid under the blanket, wondering what was going on...

The Nurse leaned down over my roommate only for a ghostly form to manifest over her; like one of those chinese tigers but with an elephant trunk. Dark vapors came out of my roommate's mouth and the thing breathed those in. Instantly my roommate went quiet.

"What the fuck!" I bleeped out.

The nurse turned over and the apparition disappeared. I recognized one of the nurses, Hikari, a tall Asian woman about twenty-five or so.

"You can see my aura?"

She came closer. I nodded, back to the wall and ready to kick her face. "What are you?"

She smiled. "I'm a Baku, a dream-eater. You're a changeling too, aren't you?"

I nodded again. "A dream-eater?"

She sat down next to me. "I take away people's nightmares, in a place like this, I can provide people with a little peace of mind. Yours, Nadia, have been particularly agitated."

I chewed my lip."How do you do it?"

"Eat dreams?"

"No, being a changeling... I'm just terrified I'll hurt someone..." I raised my hand and flames covered it. "I killed someone already..."

She put her hand on my arm, just beneath the flames.

"That friend's mother you talked about?"

I nodded, "She was horrible... But she didn't deserve it..."

"It was an accident Nadia, you're far from the first nascent changeling to lose control of their powers. Most of our kind we feed on humans, one way or another, and we don't always know where or when to stop. But the more we repress what we are, the harder it is to control."

"So you're saying I should grant people's wishes?"

"Is that what you do?" She smiled.

"Tiana... She's I don't know... She says I'm a jinni. Jinni grant wishes don't they?"

"Sometimes, what we are is always in flux, our souls carry the legends of humanity, what they believe we are, we become." She patted my head. "Can I ask for a wish?"

I glared at her. "What kind?"

"Don't fight it, I want you to go back to sleep, have sweet dreams and face tomorrow with your head held high, that's what I wish for."

That now somewhat familiar heat came back. I didn't fight it. I took a deep breath and let the words out; "Granted."

My eyes immediately felt heavy and all my worries went away. The last thing I remembered was Nurse Hikari tucking me in.

***

The next day was a good day, I just couldn't bring myself to stew in my own dark thoughts. I woke up early and got to work finishing my latest painting, just some abstract piece representing my state of mind of the last few days.

Maybe it was the wish acting like some sort of magic drug, but I didn't complain. Right after lunchtime, I was advised I had a guest.

I got dressed properly for the first time in a few days and went down to the guest area. Rather than my family, however, I spotted the tall form of Tiana waiting for me at a seat, a coffee in hand.

"This wasn't where I was expecting to find you."

"I need time and a place to think."

"And, have you thought about it?"

"I want to learn how to control my powers, I don't want to lose control ever again."

"You've been using your powers haven't you?"

"Accidentally, for the most part."

"I'll let you know that it leaves a mark in the air Hollows and other Changelings can feel, be careful about it."

"I'll remember that."

"So, you're going with me to Washington?"

"Unless you have something closer."

"Afraid not."

"Well, then, I better check out and have a talk with my parents."

I left the guest area and went up to the desk, I asked to speak to Dr. Young who saw me again. After a half-hour session, he agreed to let me go, calling my parents to advise them I was coming home.

About an hour and a half later, I was packed and waiting for my parents in the entrance hall. They came in together, Ghali probably babysitting Aisha. They came and hugged my tightly.

"Feeling better?"

"You have no idea."

Dad kissed my head.

"So... There's something I need to talk to you about." I took out that letter that had come a few days earlier, I had brought it with me and read it again and again...

The two of them gave me a worried look.

"Before the end of class, my art teacher submitted our final art class exam work to a contest and well... I won a scholarship."

It was a white lie, but they wouldn't believe the truth. I gave them the letter, which went along the lines I'd just spun.

"It's a little sudden," Dad said.

"I know... But it's such an opportunity..."

Mom gave Dad a look and my chest flared up with anxiety.

"Please..."

"It's so far away..." Mom said.

"It's only three hours by car, and I could come down on weekends by bus."

"You could also learn to drive," Dad teased.

"So not the time." I rolled my eyes.

"It would help." Mom said.

"If I learn to drive, will you let me go?"

Mom and dad consulted each other.

"Maybe." She added. "We've just been really worried about you and your mental health lately..."

"I... I think the worst of it is behind me. Besides, we're less than halfway through August."

"Alright, if and that's a big IF," dad said, "We'll consider it, consider being the word."

I wrapped my arms around his chest. "Thanks, dad." I then moved on to my mom.

Learning to drive was gonna suck... But I had to do it...

Or did I?