Changeling 24

At our home, Sunday was our lazy day, we went to church with Dad and were to settle for a few hours of board games before dinner. Dad had cooked the night before so it was back to Mom's turn.

"Could I help you cook?" Erika asked.

"Oh, you don't have to, you're our guest." Mom said.

"Actually, I love cooking and I'd love to learn your recipe, please?"

"Alright, I can show you. Have you ever made Tepsi baytinijan?"

"No offense, but never heard of it."

"It's Ghali's favorite," Mom smiled, she explained the dish to her; a casserole of eggplant tomato and meatballs with sliced potatoes on top.

Part of me tried to enjoy our gaming day, but something kept itching at the back of my mind... Karin... She'd had the courage to come out, and while it hadn't worked out for her... I was still hiding...

I made my mind. No more hiding, I would tell them. That night even. As we all gathered for dinner, I gave it a moment, getting through the usual chatter before I made my move.

"There's something I need to say."

Everyone stopped, looking at me. My heart was beating at a thousand pace a minute, this anxious heat filling me up. No going back.

"So... there's something I want to tell you all... Something I've been meaning to tell you for years now but never could work up the courage to do it..." I took a deep breath. "I'm bisexual..."

"Finally!" Ghali said.

Aisha and mom looked wide-eyed at me. Ghali of course already knew. Then their eyes went to Erika.

"Does that mean you—"

"Oh no, I don't go that way," Erika said, "I'm just a friend."

"Do you remember Karin?" I asked.

"Of course, you were inseparable, you were so heartbroken when she stopped talking to—" I saw realization dawn on Mom's face. "Oh."

"She was my girlfriend... My first love... I was just so scared to tell you, of how you'd react..."

Mom got up, hugging me tightly. She kissed my head.

"That's dumb," Aisha said, "So what you like girls?"

I laughed, "Never change Aish."

But one person's silence was noticeable... Dad hadn't said a word... He wasn't even looking at me...

"Dad?"

"I need a moment." He got up and went upstairs...

"Dad?" My voice shook.

Could he really be mad? Did he hate me now? Had I finally made him snap?

"Give him some time, Nadia." Mom said.

***

Dad didn't come down for hours.

Erika and I were supposed to go back but I stayed, I couldn't just leave on that note... We could go in the morning, maybe miss the morning classes. She didn't object.

"I'm sure he'll come around," Erika said, the two of us lying in bed but not sleeping.

"I hope..."

"We could use a wish?

"No."

"No?"

"That's the one limit I can't cross, I can't use magic to brainwash my own family..."