Changeling 23

It was just another Saturday morning for me as if I'd never left. Well, maybe my parents were a little clingier than before, checking on me every few minutes. So was Aisha, but you wouldn't catch her dead admitting she'd missed me.

"Y'all want to go to the theater?" Ghali offered. "Got some free passes."

Ghali had a job at said theater, a bonus of it was free movies every once in a while.

"Sure," I said.

With our parents busy working, we all got together in a car and Ghali drove us while Erika tried talking to Aisha in the back, who was far too busy playing the latest pokemon game to be sociable.

Our local theater was located inside of a mall, so we took some time looking around doing a little bit of window shopping.

We went around, just being ordinary teenagers (and one misbehaved tween girl) for a few hours, saw a terrible action movie together and grabbed lunch at the food court.

It was all good and light until She came in.

Of course, it was just my luck. I hid my face, not that it meant much, I still stood out easily in a crowd of white people.

"Something wrong?" Erika asked.

Ghali and Aisha were busy elsewhere, so I could speak freely.

"My ex-girlfriend is right there." I nodded toward her.

"Still sore about it?"

"She's now straight, found Jesus and I'm the devil-dyke."

"Ouch."

Karin was there, but worse, she was strolling in holding a guy's hand, some basic douche-bro with over-gelled hair and a damn polo shirt, even... Unlike me, I knew Karin was one hundred percent gay. Our eyes crossed and she made a point to kiss the guy.

Was she trying to spite me?

"Yeah, that looks really sore and ugly."

I sighed, "We never really got a chance to talk after she dumped me by f-ng text, she's avoided me for the past year or so..."

"You could have a chat with her."

"No way she'd let me put a word in."

"Luckily for you, you've got a friend who can use a little W." She said, a grin forming on her face. "Nothing wrong with a little changeling cheating." She winked.

"Can't hurt?" I couldn't really see how to make the situation worse than it already was...

"I wish you'll get your chance to talk soon, and that maybe she'll open up.

I didn't think too hard, just granting the wish.

Despite her appearance, we continued our little tour, Erika and I split up for a moment.

I came into the elevator only for Karin to come in too. We locked eyes, and then she went as far as she could.

The elevator closed, went up—

And then the lights went out. The elevator came to a halt.

"God damn it!" Karin swore. She took her phone out, and by the way she was swishing it around, I guessed she had no signal. She pressed the buttons a hundred times, started tried to open the doors, then banged on them repeatedly but nothing worked.

"Let me out!" She yelled.

"It's not helping, just calm down."

"I don't take instructions from you."