Changeling 18

While we only had a half-day, the afternoon of our first day was dedicated to student clubs meet and greets, and sport teams tryouts. Our homeroom teacher had made it quite clear that every student had to be part of one or more clubs.

For me, it was a no brainer, I signed up with the student's art gallery, and track and fields for good measure, mom and dad were always nagging me to exercise more, but sports were not my things in the slightest.

Speaking of sports, I was done for now but still wasn't allowed to leave school grounds until four, so I went to the soccer fields. There, the Coach had the recruits running a series of exercises, testing their speed, agility and how they handled the ball. In the stand, I saw a familiar purple hairdo. I came by and sat next to Cassie.

"Hey, are you here to join?" She asked.

"Nah, Kieran invited me to get a bite after tryouts," I said, she looked a little confused, so I pointed toward him."

"Ah, a friend invited me to watch," she, in turn, pointed to that giant girl I'd seen earlier, defending the goal.

Kieran soon noticed us and raced toward me. "Hey, you're early!" He said with a smile, he waves to Cassie too. He'd changed out of his uniform into soccer jerseys and shorts.

"Signed up for my clubs already, didn't have much else to do."

"Cool,"

"So, are you joining the team?"

"Oh no, I joined last year, I'm here to drill the recruits out, it's gonna be fun." His smile morphed into a confident grin.

People called him over and he gave them a thumbs up.

"I'll be back soon, they don't look like much, I bet I'm gonna crush it."

It was odd seeing him so confident, after his awkward stammer of earlier.

He went back to the field and took one-on-one exercises against Kieran. A big muscled guy took place in front of him, at least a foot taller than him. Kieran was not a big guy in any way whatsoever. The guys joining the team looked at him unimpressed.

Kieran, however, was quite cocky. "I'll go easy!" He said, loud enough for everyone to hear grinning.

Even from the side, I could see the annoyance of his opponent. The coach ran the whistle and before the big guy could even react Kieran had the ball and was practically dancing around him.

"Catch me if you can!"

Credit to the big dude, he tried, but he was just too slow for Kieran. After playing with him for a little while, Kieran made a run for the net and scored a goal.

"Next!" He called, grinning at his opponent.

The matches continued for a while, Kieran facing off against both boys and girls, the school having mixed teams.

During a break, Amber the giant came toward us, smiling. "Hey, Cassie."

Cassie blushes and waved back. "Hey, Amber."

"Who's the friend?"

"This is Nadia, she's in our homeroom."

"Cool," she extended a hand, "I'm Amber."

I shook it back.

Amber took a few long swigs of Gatorade with us before going back to the net. With her size and bulk, she made a good goalie.

Soon enough, they ran out of recruits, a few doing well against Kieran and he was given his leave. Kieran came back to me with a grin, his shirt drenched in sweat and his hair sticking to his head. Cassie went and joined Amber.