Changeling 11

The closest thing I've ever been to a party was staying up late with Liam and cousins to play Dungeons and Dragons, or the occasional birthday party sleepover with my family, even school dances I usually avoided.

I followed Erika to another bedroom in the mansion. She told me a few people who were there, but most of it went in one ear and out the other.

"So Jesse was my first friend when I came here last year, they're really friendly. Just so you know, they fluctuate between genders and pronouns are they and them."

"Alright."

She gently knocked on it and someone came out, a tall olive-skinned person, wearing a crumpled shirt with slight bags under their eyes. A long ponytail of thick brown reached down below the shoulder blades.

"Hey, Jesse, this is Nadia, my new roomie, mind if she comes over with us tonight?"

"Of course not," they yawned. Soft hazel eyes looked at me, a little smirk forming on their lip.

Erika stomped her foot down, her horns appearing."Jesse, When was the last time you slept?"

"Not a freaking clue," they stretched a little. "I just need to get something to eat, a little pregame."

Erika rolled her eyes. "Don't you make me wait, or rather make us wait."

"I won't, promise."

They closed the door and I looked at Erika.

"Pregame?" I whispered. She waved her hand dismissively.

We went back to our room and I had a chance to pack.

"Do you like food?" Erika asked, watching from her bed while playing with her phone.

"Who doesn't?"

"I know some people. Want me to whip you up something? I love cooking."

"Sure, but I'm diabetic so nothing sweet and no carbs."

She put a finger on her lip, eyes darting up. "I got it."

She trotted away, leaving me in place to finish unpacking. Now that she was gone, I took note of her side of the room. Rather than move her stuff, I did my best to arrange mine so it would balance out. It took a while, but I got it to a passable level without messing with my roommate on day one.

Erika came back into the room. "It's ready, Dolcezza."

"You're calling me that again, what does it mean?"

"Sweetheart, more or less. All my friends are sweethearts, so I call them that."

My cheeks reddened a little. The inner friendless nerd in me wanted to squee at the thought of being called her friend.

"It's waiting for us downstairs."

I followed her to the kitchen where we sat at a counter. She plated two plates of what looked like pasta.

"The noodles are actually zucchini, this is a classic pesto with a little sundried tomato on top. Just don't tell my Nona, she'll call me a heretic. Zucchini noodles, that's the devil's work I'm sure."

"It looks and smells amazing."

We dug in and there was no question as to Erika's cooking skills. It wasn't my first time having zucchini noodles, I still prefer real pasta, but carbs were evil and would murder me.

A few minutes later, I heard steps behind me and I turned around to see Jesse. I recognized them, but they were worlds apart from the Jesse I'd seen not so long ago. Their olive skin had a healthy tone, their hair was luxurious and loosely falling on their shoulders, their eyes vibrant with life.