Changeling 41

I went home after a quiet dinner with Cassie's family, Maya as her mom was called, was a very welcoming host. Being a school night and having homework, I got home early and focused on them until lights out.

At least I tried, Erika was acting all Mama hen about what Clarissa had done. I wasn't sure who had tipped her off, possibly Kieran.

The next day was back to normal as if nothing has happened. Well, almost normal. When lunch came around, Liam shuffled into the cafeteria. Our gaze met awkwardly and we came together.

"Hey, Liam..."

"Hey, Nadia..."

"I see that you're back..."

Liam wasn't looking at me, eye contact wasn't always his forte, but he was downright avoiding my general vicinity.

"I didn't want to come, but Dad made me, he said I can't just hide in my room forever."

I nodded, a heavy silence settling between us. After the most uncomfortable minute of my life, Liam finally spoke up.

"I talked to Jesse..." He said.

"You did?"

"I didn't know who else to call. We just talked; about you, them, and me."

"And?"

"I don't know... You've changed, Nadia... Or maybe I'm the one who sees you differently now, what you did hurt me a lot. I think maybe we need to break up, I don't think I can be with you right now."

"I understand." I nodded, biting my lip down, trying not to look at him. "I'm sorry."

I didn't let him answer me, I couldn't help myself, I ran and hid in the girl's bathroom. I know, stupid and impulsive of me.

But what's who I was, so stupid, I couldn't control my actions and just fucked everything up for the millionth time. I just cried like an idiot, sitting on a toilet. I could hear people whispering, judging me.

What's her problem?

Weirdo.

Ugh, don't get involved.

Can't she just shut up

Three little knocks came at the door to my stall. I could see her feet under the stall's door, there were others.

"Nadia?" Erika said from the other side.

I stayed quiet.

"A friend saw you run in here, are you okay?"

"Go away..." I answered.

"We're not going to do that." This time it was Cassie speaking. "Come on, open the door."

I didn't argue any further, opening the door.

"Aww, you look terrible." Erika said, wrapping her arms around me.

"No shit." I could see myself in the mirror, my mascara had dripped all over my face.

"I saw you and Liam, what happened?" Cassie asked.

I took a deep breath. "We broke up." I sobbed into Erika's shoulder, staining her cardigan.

"I'm sorry." Cassie joined the hug.

We stayed together, missing our classes until I finally stopped crying. With Erika's help I cleaned myself up.

"Will you be okay?"

"I don't know... I think I need some air."

They escorted me out to the front and I just sat down in the grass, my jeans be damned. I closed my eyes, deep slow belly breaths, held for a few seconds, then breathe out, just like I'd been taught in therapy.