Changeling 12

Club Fantasia was just about what I expected from a club; dark and loud, with blinding lights reflecting on my glasses everywhere. A little banderole of pride flags over the bar set me at ease a little.

In the crowd, I could already see a few changelings with their auras shining, hunting as Jesse had called it.

I took my glasses off, leaving anything beyond a few feet a blur.

"Take a booth, I'll get us some drinks," Jesse said, passing their bag to Erika.

"You know what I like!" She said.

"Nothing sweet, I'm diabetic," I told them.

We got both and dropped the bags there.

"So... how does one club?" I asked her.

"Just dance, talk to people, drink and flirt if that's your thing," Erika said.

"My thing?"

"I don't do the whole flirting and fucking thing." She let out a grimace. "No judgment if it's yours."

"I'm far from a virgin, but I'm not sure this kind of stuff is my kind at all," I confessed.

She patted my hair. "Welcome to the club. Just so you know, while it's not officially-officially a queer club, changelings tend to be very open and adventurous, owner kicks out anyone who makes a fuss."

"Noted." I looked down at our table, it was slightly sticky like someone had spilled a drink there. At least I hoped it was just soda...

Jesse came back with a tray, putting down a glittery pink drink for Erika, an orange one for themself and a clear one for me.

"So, a sparkling pink lemonade for you, Erika, and ginger and lime fizz for you, Nadia." They said.

I tasted it, it was a little sour, a faint hint of sugar-free sweetener accentuated the bold lime and ginger tastes, along with a leaf of mint for a little freshness. It was nice.

It was then that a boy came toward us, a little too cleanly dressed for the place, his pace a little stiff.

"Hey, Caleb!" Jesse and Erika said.

"It's good to see you again." He said.

"Right, this is Nadia," Erika said, "She's new at the house."

"Pleased to meet you, Nadia. As they said, I'm Caleb." He turned to Erika, "Can I have a dance?"

"Of course!" She practically jumped over the table and took his hand, trotting away to the dance floor.

I leaned toward Jesse. "This Caleb, is he... one of us?"

"Oh no, quite the opposite. He's a hollow."

"He's a hollow?" I almost jumped from my seat but Jesse put a hand on me.

"Calm down."

"Aren't they dangerous, like serial killers of changelings?"

Jesse sighed, "Not everything Tiana and Lucian might have told you are a hundred percent accurate. "

"So they're just like us?"

"Oh, probably better than us. Once you get off the superpowers and mythos high, you realize that in the end we changelings are parasites to humans. We suck their spirits like a mosquito with blood."

The image wasn't a very appealing one, but what could I answer?

"Sure, some hollows go off the rails, but that's a small fraction of them. Hollows don't feel much, but that also means they don't feel anger, jealousy, envy, or greed. If anything, more Changelings abuse hollows than the opposite."

I nodded along.

"Sorry, sorry, I get annoyed when people act on dumb prejudice. Look, all you need to know is that Hollows are people, there are good and bad ones."

"Alright, I'll keep that in mind. I need to go to the bathroom."

I looked around for the bathroom, putting my glasses back on. I saw Caleb and Erika dancing together wildly, she was smiling brightly, her aura shining brightly, and Caleb seemed smitten by her.

I did my business and came out of the bathroom, looking around. A girl caught my eyes by the bar.

Tall, dark-skinned, with short green hair. The piercings on her nose, ears, and lips glimmered in the light of the club. The ends of several tattoos peeked out of her top, her arms were strong and muscled like she did weights.

That is to say she was several kinds of hot.

I sat back with Jesse and they wrapped an arm around me and I jumped a little.

"You, have spotted something you like." They whispered.

"What?"

"Nadia, I'm a sex demon, I can literally see what makes you go, like strings binding you to her."

I didn't dare answer, my cheeks flushing.

"Well, luckily for you, I am very much certain that you might just be her type."

I blushed.

"Nothing to be ashamed of,"

"I'm still in the closet..." I mumbled.

"No need for that here," They kissed my forehead and I felt a little spark of energy in my chest.

"What did you do?"

"Sent you a little boldness, it's up to you if you want to act on it, it's just a dance after all."

I fiddled in place for a moment, I couldn't sit still. What did I have to lose? Aside from my dignity, that was already pretty banged up.

I downed the rest of my drink, got up, took a deep breath, and walked her way.

Unfortunately, this was the only thing that came out of my mouth; "Do you... come here often?" I asked, immediately regretting it. I couldn't believe I actually said that.

She smirked. "Maybe."

I nodded. "Would you like to dance...?"

She laughed, "You've never done this, have you?"

"Never ever."

"It shows, but it was so damned adorable an attempt," She grinned and ran a hand through her hair, making my legs weak. She took out a bill and slipped it in my hand, our fingers brushing, hers felt so rough and calloused..."I have to bail, but why don't you get something for yourself?" She winked.

She took a step away.

"Wait..." I called and she turned back. "Can I get your name?"

"Stephanie, what just might be yours?"

"Nadia."

"Well, Nadia, maybe I'll see you around again."

Okay, that had gone miles better than it had any right to...

I took another drink, diet coke this time and sipped it for a moment. I'd half succeed, had I? Or was that just her way of politely blowing me off?

Oh well, no matter.

I looked back at Jesse but they were gone, I found them a few feet further talking to a boy, hands already getting frisky. Erika meanwhile was still busy with Caleb...

The two of them were busy and I just felt so damned out of place...

So I just left. I needed some fresh air to clear my head.