Changeling 10

I'm not ashamed to say I aced my test and officially became licensed to drive. The wish had held up for the time being. To congratulate me, my parents bought me my own car, a honda civic only two years younger than I was.

August came to an end and school was about to pick back up. With a heavy heart, mom and dad agreed to let me attend the prestigious school up in Seattle. Packing was a stressful thing, taking away everything and putting them in boxes, leaving a half-empty room behind.

Aisha and I sat in the backseat of the car while Mom drove, with Ghali riding shotgun while Dad rode behind with my new car.

I spent the way up to Seattle doing what I always did; counting cars and mile markers, it all added up to a nice even number, a good sign for the future.

We followed the GPS along to Union Bay High's Atlantean Foundation Residence Hall. I don't know what I was expecting, except well a dormitory.

This wasn't it.

The Atlantean Foundation Residence Hall was a massive three-floor neoclassical mansion surrounded by impeccable hedgerows, it had a fountain at the front entrance, it's own 'guest house' a separate eight-door garage.

"This is your dorm?" Ghali said.

"That's what it says."

An old lady in old-fashioned clothes stepped out of the front door. Waving at us.

"Welcome, you must be Nadia." She said, looking at me. "I'm Nan, the caretaker. Let me show you to your room."

We got out of the cars and grabbed my baggage. We stepped inside the dorm and were met with a luxurious foyer with checkered marble floors, a grand staircase, and paintings probably worth more than our house.

"How many students are housed here?" Mom asked.

"We have a maximum capacity of eighty pupils. All of our pupils are specially selected from across the country, primarily from underprivileged groups for a special full-ride scholarship."

"How are they selected?"

"Our recruiters are always on the lookout for uniquely talented children and teenagers."

I knew it was code for Changelings, but she couldn't say it openly. We went upstairs —going up by twenty steps— and then to the east wing, going down four doors before Nan knocked on the door.

"Come on in!" A girl said.

We did and came to face a girl about my age. She had wavy pink hair and lightly tanned skin. She wore a cute little puffy shirt, capris and was barefoot. She had a massive suitcase on one of the beds open and overflowing with clothes.

"Hi! You must be the new roomie! I'm Erika!" She extended a hand, a big bright smile on her face.

"Nadia," I said, shaking her hand.

"Please to meet you!" She did a little melodramatic bow.

"Nice to meet you too."

My parents came into the room, and introduced themselves, giving me a second to take the lay of the land. We each had our own drawer, closet, bed, and desk all made of vintage wood. The walls were a light cream color, while the floor was hardwood. Two massive windows looked to the north, giving us a view of the gardens at the back of the house.

There was strong positive energy to the house, it was all so even and neatly arranged. My roommate might be a problem, however... She seemed nice, but I'd never had a roommate and even the saintliest person on earth could trip up my OCD...