Changeling 32

Liam and I were dating.

A month ago, that would have filled me with joy. He really was the best boyfriend a girl, or guy, could hope for; kind, patient, a good listener, absolutely adorkable.

But as the days passed one thought kept gnawing at me again and again; our relationship was based on a lie.

I had killed his mother, and I wasn't human...

***

After a week of school-spirit activities homecoming was upon us.

I didn't particularly care for it, but Erika had been buzzing all week making her own dress; with white lace upon a bubblegum pink body with several layers of wispy cloth at the skirt.

I, on the other hand, had just bought one with permission from my parents, knowing them and their conservative bent, I'd gotten a black dress with sleeves and skirt below the knee.

Jesse completed our little trio from the mansion, they'd elected to mix it up; wearing a shirt and tie over a skirt, which as usual it was short enough to absolutely scandalize my parents.

Jesse, being rich and full of style, insisted we take their family limo to go to the event. We got in and went to pick our dates up; first was Liam looking a little uncomfortable with his tie, tugging at his neck again and again.

"Hello there," Jesse said to him, "I've heard a lot about you," they grinned, "you didn't tell me he was this cute."

"My boyfriend, mine," I warned them.

Liam blushed and gave a little wave.

"That tie, however, does not work!" Jesse came forward and undid Liam's tie, "First, way too tight." Jesse opened their bag and took out a bowtie, tying it up in place of Liam's tie. "Much better." They winked.

"Thanks?"

"Thank you Fashion Police, now give me my boyfriend back." I grabbed Liam's arm and got him next to me.

"Well, you two want a little three-people fun, you call me."

Liam turned as red as a tomato.

"Oh my god, Jesse!"

They laughed. "You are all so fun to tease. Except for Erika, she's impervious."

She stuck out her tongue.

Erika had followed my suggestion and Caleb came into the limo next. He sat down next to her and shook hands with Liam, exchanging greetings. For someone without emotions, he seemed radiant whenever he looked at Erika.

We reached the first step of the celebration; the game. Our school did soccer rather than football and so the Union Bay Cougars were playing some other school. Kieran was leading the team in a crushing victory. Cassie and her sister joined us, Cassie being date-less while her sister had a jock boy with her.

After the game was the announcement of the homecoming king and queen; some seniors I'd never spoken to. Then was the parade and marching band. I saw Kieran holding arms with a Latina girl, her hair shaved to the scalp at the sides and fluffy on top. A little knot formed in my stomach...

Had he moved on?

He had every right... Yet I knew I'd missed my chance...

We came into the decorated gymnasium and the royalty was given a first choreographed dance.

Then we all flooded the dance floor, our little group coming together, joining us was Amber having changed between here and the game. We congratulated her on holding her net like a pro.

We all stuck together, dancing along to the music. Poor Liam was a little lost, we all know about white people and dancing, but my encouragement kept him going. We danced and sang along to the music until some of us broke off for refreshments or bathroom breaks.

And then I found myself alone with Caleb at the punch station. We grabbed our drinks and I nudged him to a corner where we sat on benches.

"Can I ask you something personal?"

"Of course."

"What is it like being a Hollow?"

"I don't know, I've never been anything else." He said, shrugging. "I'm told most people feel things stronger than we do."

"And what is it like being near a changeling?"

"It's... hard to explain, it's like this feeling just takes a hold of you, like being hit by a wave all of a sudden. When I'm with Erika, I just want to laugh, dance, sing and nothing else matters, it's powerful and overwhelming, but never in a bad way."

"Do you like her?"

"I don't know what liking someone really is like, I've had it described to me but I still don't know..."

"What do you think about her?"

"She's so nice... And sweet. I've been with other changelings before, they always asked for favors. All she wants is someone to have fun with, to dance or singly horribly with to the radio."

"Favors?" I grimaced.

"Sometimes sexual, sometimes doing their homework, money, or buying them things."

"Oh wow, gross," I remembered Jesse's words, how some Changelings were like drug dealers to hollows.

"I guess it is..." He mused, "From an intellectual point of view, I can see how exploitive it is, but I can't feel upset or disgusted."

"No offense, but that kind of sounds sad living like this..."

"Is it? I've seen people become broken from an aching heart, fall apart from anxiety. I can feel things, I think, but they don't bother me the way they bother others, pain is just a little blinking light on my mind's dashboard telling me I need to put a bandaid on a papercut, nothing more, nothing less."

"I see."

"What's it like being a changeling, do you always feel that rush, that overwhelming wave of feelings?"

"Not really," I shrugged, "It's like playing roulette, sometimes you win, sometimes you land on a shitty day and all you want to do is cry."

"That sounds quite hard."

"It can be, but there are things that can keep you going even in the darkest of days; friends, family, love."

"Love, I've heard a lot about that one... Heard about fiery heat, urges, and the butterflies, but it never really computed for me... What does love feel like to you?"

"Ah..." I took a deep breath. "When I think about Liam or even my Ex, I just feel this longing to be with them, no matter how long it's been I miss their voice, their touch, the way they move. "

"Am I in love? I know I don't want to lose Erika or make her angry... I'd like to be with her as much as possible."

"Maybe it's your way of experiencing love." I smiled.

"Perhaps."

I put a hand on his shoulder in support. We got back to our group, but my eyes caught sight of Kieran, looking moody and leaving the gym all by himself.

"I'll be back." I excused myself before following after.