Changeling 34

Liam sat up, giving me a full view of his junk. I looked away, my face turning red. Silly after what we'd just done, but time and place.

"Maybe this is a conversation that could use pants..."

He grabbed some pajama pants and I grabbed some clothes out of the bag I kept there in case of an impromptu sleepover.

"What is it, Nadia?" He asked, now dressed.

"There's something you need to know..."

"Is it about Kieran?"

"What?"

"Do you like hi—"

"No, it's not about him, it's well, what happened to your mom... It didn't happen how you think it did..."

"Nadia... Did you set the fire?"

"No!" I shouted out, "Well... It's complicated... I don't know how to explain..."

"It can't be that complicated, did you do it or not?"

"I didn't mean to... I should just show you."

I closed my eyes, raising a hand in front of him... I focused all my power on my hand, calling up the smokeless flame of the djinn, Erika had called it going loud, I felt myself turn into my aural form, giving up flesh for a moment and becoming living flames.

Liam looked at me with eyes wide open with marvel. "What is going on?"

"I'm not human, Liam... I'm—"

He cut me off; "You're an x-men!"

"No, I'm a djinn."

"Like Aladdin's?"

"With less comedic and musical numbers. The night of the fire was when I manifested my powers..."

I breathe the fire back in, turning back into myself.

"That's so cool! My girlfriend has superpowers, superpowers are real!" He kept going for a moment and I felt a rock take form in my guts.

"Liam, stop!"

"Sorry, I get excited... Why did you look so worried about telling me?"

"Liam... what do Djinni do?"

He tilted his head, "They grant wishes?" I saw the realization slowly dawn on his face. "No... No... My mother..."

"I'm sorry..." I put a hand on his shoulder.

He brushed me off. "You killed her?"

"I didn't mean to!"

"How could you do it?"

"It was an accident, I couldn't control it! You made the wish and it happened..."

"I made the wish..." Liam choked down on his words...

"It's not your fault, you couldn't have known."

He stayed quiet for a moment.

"Why didn't you tell me." He wouldn't match my eyes.

"I've been wanting to tell you since you came back... I just didn't have the guts to, but keeping a secret was killing me..."

"Why now right after we—?"

"I couldn't keep it anymore..."

He wouldn't look at me.

"Liam? Say something..."

"Nadia, what do you want me to say, you just told me I killed my mom, that I burnt her alive!"

"I don't know... You deserved the truth..."