Changeling 40

As we agreed I waited for Cassie in the cafeteria once classes were over with. But it wasn't Cassie but Kieran who came to me.

"Hey, are you alright?" He asked. "I heard about what Clarissa did."

"Better than I have any right to be." I massaged my throat, it was getting red.

"That bitch... I can't believe she did that to you..." Kieran snarled, his eyes sinking and turning into dark abysses as his aura partly manifested...

"I'm okay, really, Cassie helped me."

His mouth shook, struggling to come up with words.

"There's nothing you could have done."

"That's the thing... I could do something, I could teach her a damn lesson, make her realize that actions have consequences... but then her damn uncle would retaliate, I'd do it anyway if I didn't think he would retaliate against you too..."

I put a hand on his shoulder. "Please, don't beat yourself over this."

He looked away, so I dragged him into a hug. "But thank you."

"Thank me?"

"For caring. It's not my first time dealing with bullying, I can handle it, but thank you for caring and wanting to stand up to me."

Okay, so maybe attempted wish-murder and being assaulted in a bathroom wasn,t exactly the same as having eraser bits thrown at me, whispered racist slurs, and the occasional having my stuff messed with, but it was a white lie, right?

"You're, eh, welcome," Kieran muttered after a moment, his face had turned red and he tried to hide it from me. He was cute when he was shy...

Then Cassie cleared her throat, killing whatever moment this might have been. Next to her was Amber, the big gal that was Kieran's teammate.

"Oh, Kieran, you remember Cassie."

They waved at each other.

"I was going to hang out with her tonight, so, I guess I'll see you home?"

He nodded, "Be safe out there."

"Don't worry, Cassie's got my back."

With that he left us, Amber took off with him, the two of them chatting. Cassie was still looking at me. "Don't you have a boyfriend?"

"We were just talking."

She nodded, but still gave me a look.

We started walking, me following her, and I took out my phone. I sent a text to Liam.

Hey. <

I was hoping I'd see you today. <

You probably need more time, and I understand.<
I'm ready to wait until you're ready to talk <
I know I fucked up and hurt you, again, I'm sorry. <

"Nadia?" I looked up to Cassie and only then realized my vision was getting blurry. "What's wrong?"

"I guess I haven't told you everything about Liam and I..." I sighed.

So I told her, how I'd told Liam everything, how he'd reacted, how I'd cheated with him in a moment of impulsivity... And the reason Liam wasn't at school was probably because he was still upset.

"Jesus..." She swore.

"So, yeah, I'm a horrible person."

"You made a mistake, Nadia, okay, probably like a dozen mistakes, but nobody's perfect."