Changeling 22

A few days passed by without incident, I was seeing Erika, Jesse, and Kieran around the house casually, sometimes playing games together. At school having lunch with Cassie, her sister and Amber had become the new routine.

Lucian's words still haunted me... I needed a break from all of this changeling stuff, and I had promised my parents to drive back home when I could.

As I was packing my bag to head home for the weekend, a letter came in the mail, brought up to me by Old Nan.

The otherwise ordinary envelope was sealed in wax, the stamp of a tree pressed into it. Letters were already old fashioned, but wax seals? That was a little much...

To Miss Nadia Preston, the Seelie king cordially invites you to his office to discuss the matters of his niece's actions, he offers his sincerest apologies for any harm caused and wishes to meet you over tea.

Sincere apologies my ass, he hadn't even bothered to write the letter himself.

An escort shall accompany you Monday the fourteenth, you are hereby promised safe passage back and forth, as well as full hospitality.

It was signed by the office of the Seelie King of Washington.

"Nan?"

"Yes, dear?"

"What's the polite, changeling way to say fuck you and your offer with a cactus?"

She frowned, clearly she didn't find me funny. "I would not antagonize the king, if I were you, I would politely entertain him, anything he might offer I suggest you don't outright say no, but say you'll think on matters."

I sighed, "Alright, thanks."

The invitation was on Monday, so I had the weekend to mull over it.

Erika came in, seeing my pack and her eyes went a little wide. "You're leaving?" She asked, panic in her voice.

"Just for the weekend," I reassured her, her shoulder getting a little less tense, "I'll be back Sunday evening."

"Oh good."

I gave her a hug.

"Can I w-i-s-h you a safe trip?"

"Sure."

"I wish you a safe trip."

I closed my eyes, focusing on clear roads, sunny weather, and easy traffic. "Granted."

Erika sat down, watching me finish packing up.

She fidgeted in place. "So I guess this is goodbye?" She played with her hair nervously.

After that confession that evening she'd been a little insecure and clingier than usual...

"Do you want to come with me?"

"What?"

"You could come with me if you'd like, just hope you don't mind sharing a bed."

"I should be the one asking you that..." She looked away.

"Hey, it's totally normal for girls to sleep with their gal pals, even if they're trans."

She smiled.

"Just get packed quickly, please?"

"Yes, Ma'am." She gave me a salute and threw clothes into a bag, I cringed a little at her carelessness. Maybe I shouldn't have said to be quick...

We got our baggage and loaded it into my car. Aisha's wish still held and I dissociated all the way to Portland, I warned Erika ahead of time of my driving issues so she didn't mind, fiddling on her phone through the few hours drive.