Changeling 25

TW: Animal Cruelty

In the end, my weekend home wasn't exactly the relaxing getaway I'd hoped, but it had brought with it some closure with Karin and I no longer had to hide a part of me to my family.

Erika and I woke up early as all hell and raced up to Seattle after a long goodbye from my family, Erika carrying a box of baklava for our friends, a gift from mom. We missed our first period and were a little late for second, but it wasn't the worst of problems, the year was young and we hadn't missed much.

School went by without a hitch until I came out of the main entrance. A lady in a business suit blocked my way.

"Miss Preston, the King sent me to get you." She motioned to a black limousine waiting at the curb.

"The Limo is a little excessive, isn't it?"

"I'm afraid you aren't our only passenger."

Great...

I sat down in the back and waited. If this was some sort of trap, some people were going to get burnt. No devious bond-villain trap triggered when I sat down, so the trap was probably reserved for later.

When the door opened again, I instantly would have prefered the poison-gas in the limo trick...

Clarissa glared at me, not even bothering to hide the disgust in her face as she sat down.

"What are you doing in my car?"

"Your uncle invited me, didn't exactly leave me a choice either."

"Maybe you'll get what you deserve for what you did."

"You asked for the damn pony."

"It broke my leg! And I know you did it."

She was right, but I wasn't the type to gloat like an idiot.

"Have you ever read a book? Everyone knows wishes can turn around to bite you when you're not specific enough. Besides, you tried to kill me!"

"Oh please, you're fine. This is the changeling world, probably won't be the last time someone tries to do you in."

Two more girls came into the limo, a japanese girl and a redhead, both looked at me with disdain. I'd seen them both hang around Clarissa, clearly some kind of henchwomen.

Last to get in was a boy with Arab features like mine; dark curls, brown skin, and the 'ethnic' nose unlike the girls he was smiling brightly.

"Hey, I'm Yannick," he said, extending a hand.

"Nadia,"

"I know, you've kind of made a lot of waves around here."

"Trust me, it wasn't my intention."

"Still, it's quite exciting to meet another child of sacred flame."

"Are you a jinni too?"

"A phoenix actually, but we come from the same lands."

I nodded. The car ride was long, Yannick tried to be nice, but I had a bad feeling about him, after all he was hanging out with the bitch queen and her minions...

The Limousine went toward downtown, part of me expected some great spooky castle in the mountains, or maybe a mystical enchanted forest as the seelie King's home, I was a little disappointed when we stopped by a massive condo complex downtown.

Sure, it was expensive as all hell, but king-worthy? Maybe not.

I rode the elevator up along with the driver, forty floors felt like an eternity. It finally opened into a penthouse covered in lush plants. Marble, and dark wood everywhere. It even had an indoor waterfall for Pete's sake.