Changeling 39

I lost track of how many wishes I gave away, going through everyone in the house. I'd made up a few rules and promised to twist the wish to anyone who broke them, with the lamp I was obligated to grant the wish of those who held it, but I could punish them.

My first rule was no wishing for anything that was impossible. The second was the wish couldn't be used to hurt anyone.

Turns out the trick to getting people what they wanted was to make up a bunch of radio cold call contests, you know the type where they call people at random and ask them to answer trivia or something along those lines.

Old Nan got tickets to Broadway, Jesse had backstage a pass to their favorite band, Erika won a thousand dollar gift card from a fabric store. And not one, not two, but three of the other people got a pony riding excursion... Why did everyone want a damn pony? I don't get it...

In the end, I passed out on a couch before the afternoon was over. Wish-granting was harder than it looked.

I woke up the next morning in my bed, someone had moved me up.

I went around some of the changelings at school too, unlike the mortals they'd cooperate without question. There was a family of Nymphs Jesse had introduced me to, a big troll in Kieran's soccer team, I even gave some to Clarissa's friends.

By lunch, I was just about exhausted...

***

Someone shook me.

"Nadia!"

I opened my eyes, looking around in a panic.

Right... I was at lunch... I had to have fallen asleep from the strain of my powers.

"Are you okay?" Cassie asked. It was just us at the table, the others had left for their things. "You totally fell asleep right in your tray."

"Didn't sleep so well last night," I lied.

"I can see that," she laughed. "Want some coffee?" She took out a big thermos from her bag. Inside I saw the ears of Hip-Hop poke out, she'd brought him to school again...

"Yes please."

She got up and grabbed a foam cup from the cafeteria, pouring some of her homemade coffee into it. I took a sip. It was different from normal coffee, maybe an americano? Either way, caffeine was caffeine.

"Thank you so much."

"Just doing what a friend would do. You know, it's a shame we never got the chance to hang out outside of school." She smiled timidly, looking away and blushing.

"Yeah, maybe we should."

I pushed away my now cold food, "I'm going to wash my hands."

"Mind if I tag along, could use the bathroom break."

"Eh, sure." Escorting someone to the bathroom was nothing new, Erika could get anxious about it when her dysphoria was acting up.

We got up and went for the girl's room. While Cassie took a stall I just went for the sink and washed my hands and face. All that wish-granting had left me a little sweaty.

"Nadia, Nadia, Nadia, you break my heart," Clarissa said from behind me, making my hair stand on ends. "You go all around everyone in school, but forgot about me? Don't I get a wish?"

"Back off," I told her, letting fire erupt from my hands.

"So aggressive! You're such a bitch, first the pony, then you threatened me, then you reject my uncle's offer... You know what? It just pisses me right the fuck off."