Changeling 33

I had a feeling I knew where he was going. Rather than go for the door, I went upstairs and found the roof access unlocked. Surely enough, Kieran was there, sitting at the edge of the roof, looking out at the bay.

He'd changed from his sportswear to slacks, button shirt, and a waistcoat, so far from his usual loose casual.

I took a deep breath and stepped forward."You know, it's a shame this city is critically lacking in gargoyles to brood on."

He turned his head toward me.

"What do you want, Nadia?"

"I just wanted to apologize to you and see how you were doing."

He remained silent, watching over the bay.

"I fucked up, I know that... and I don't expect you to just forgive me... When Liam came I was so damn happy I rushed into things without thinking and made another mistake..."

"A mistake?"

"My awakening as a changeling killed Liam's mother... He wished for it, I granted it... And he doesn't know, he thinks it was an accident. And eventually, I'll have to tell him the truth... And I don't think for a moment it's gonna go over well."

"Oh..."

"Can I come closer?"

He nodded and I came forward, sitting on the edge of the roof with him, a pang of vertigo coming over me.

"Does he know about me?"

"He does, actually he thinks you're really cute and wanted to 'smooch you' his words."

He gave me a look.

"He's bisexual like me."

"Oh."

"I'm not sure he was joking when he said we could both date you."

Kieran looked at me.

"I don't know... I think I'm straight."

"He'll be sad then," I said with a chuckle. "So... not jealous or anything, but I saw you with a girl earlier... Did you find someone else?"

"No. That's just my friend Juana, she's gay, I just didn't want to come alone..."

Congrats on the win by the way,"

"It's a homecoming game, it's always an easy one"

"Ah. Personally I would've fluffed it, I flunked gym last year, gym! I didn't know you could! They'd have to put me against kindergarteners for it to be fair."

He snorted.

"You'd think a Soccer superstar like you, would be prime boyfriend material and up to your neck in girls wanting to date you."

"There's been some but I never felt like it was genuine, weren't really my type either..."

"That's a shame, you deserve someone that makes you happy and won't hurt you, someone better than me..."

He looked down, playing with his tie.

"I know I hurt you, but I do want to be friends again, I want to make it up to you."

"I think I'd like that too."

I reached out and hugged him.

"Say, why don't we go back down, you can meet Liam? We can still try to be friends?"

He nodded and we went back downstairs.

We got off the roof's edge, Kieran giving me a hand for safety's sake. Unlike him, I did not have super jumping powers. We then went back down into the gymnasium, finding my friends group.