Changeling 13

I went out, tested my blood sugar, adjusted my pump and then looked for a bus on my phone. There was one that would take me to the right neighborhood. But first I had to cross the big park in front of the club.

It was dark out that night, with no moon up in the sky to illuminate the way, only a few isolated lamps passing through the small park. I walked with hurried steps, I could burn anything that tried anything, but living as a girl for sixteen years you knew not to linger out at night and the habit dies hard.

I walked through the paved bath and spotted a silhouette moving between the trees. I hurried up. My eyes darted around and I saw another one following me.

Just great.

I started running when a third figure barred my way, the other two catching up behind me.

God damning...

Three people surrounded me. At a distance they might have seemed like homeless people, wearing tattered clothes and a little hunched over, but the glare of light illuminated one of their faces; comically ugly and twisted, crooked earns, a giant nose, warts all over, and big ugly teeth coming from its mouth.

It wasn't human, but it didn't have a changeling's aura either...

"Let me go," I warned them.

"Where's this pretty girl going at such a late hour?"

"None of your business, get out of my way."

"I think the pretty girl should come with us instead, have ourselves a little party."

"Yeah!" the other two shouted.

They stepped closer only for a voice to fill the air.

"Hold right there!" A boy said from out of my sight.

A moment later, a figure dropped down from god knows where kicking a goblin in the face like he was fucking Batman.

The newcomer was a slender blonde teen in an apple green tee and cargo, a trail of ghostly black feathers fell from where he had just come, and over his own form was his aura; a dark tattered cowl covering his shape with bloody talons protruding where his feet and hands were, his eyes burned with wicked flames

The goblin he'd kicked was down, bleeding green blood from three long scratch marks. The boy's sneaker and aural talons were on his chest.

"You better get back to your fairy ring before I get angry." he snarled, his voice supernaturally punctuated by dozens of crow angrily cawing.

"We have the right to hunt upon the in-between moon!" One of them said.

"I don't care, this is my turf. Get out." A cloud of ravens came and surrounded him, cawing out a storm. "Or I'll make a nice trophy of your heads."

"The queen will hear about this!"

"Go ahead and tell her!"

The three creatures retreated behind the trees, disappearing.

His Aura faded away leaving only his baby face in front of me. A little tinge of acne marred his chin.

"Are you alright?" He asked, his voice soft and comforting now that the anger had vanished, his eyes followed it with acknowledgment.

"I'll be fine, I probably could have handled them myself." A little fire danced between my fingers. "I'm a changeling."

He rolled his eyes. "Couldn't you be a little more grateful? I was all heroic and cool!" He teased. "At least you didn't scream and run away, but man I wish one of these days someone would be like 'Oh my hero, let me kiss you!'" He said in a feminine voice, laying it on thick.

I knew he was joking.

It didn't matter.

The heat of my power rushed me, I tried to hold it back, biting my lip, but it was too strong, I tried to hold it but it only burned harder. "Granted."

"Huh?"

My body moved on its own, I mumbled the dumb words, grabbed his face and pressed my lips against his.

He kissed back, softly, timidly even...

The wish ended and I pulled back hard.

"Okay, that was..." He mumbled, turning red as a tomato.

He didn't finish his thought.

I slapped him.

"Okay, I'm getting the mixed-est signals ever here."

"I'm a Jinni, I grant wishes, you idiot."

"Oh..."

"I... don't control it well."

"Noted... Do you need an escort home?"

"I'll be fine, the bus stop is right over there." I pointed at it with my chin.

"If you don't mind, I'd like to at least walk you there?"

"Fine."

Maybe I was a little unfair to him, he hadn't known, but damn it I felt a little violated... My first time kissing a guy had been forced...

"I'm Kieran," He said, "I keep the faes on their best behavior around here, don't worry, they only come out on special days; new moons, solstices, equinoxes or Friday the 13ths."

"Uh-huh."

We reached the bus stop in short order and I sat down at the bench. A quick look at my phone told me I had about ten minutes to wait before the next one.

"Alright, here we are... I guess I'll leave you alone." He looked down, "Sorry about what happened."

"It's fine," I said a little too flatly.

"I'll just go." He nodded and went back toward the park.

The wait was uneventful and soon I was on the bus and heading back to the dorms. Another short walk and I was back there.

I felt so damned tired.

I'd moved to another state, went to a club, gotten rejected, attacked and rescued in just a few hours. It was still early but I still went to take a shower and put on pajamas before going to bed.

I needed that day to just be over already...