VI

After the accident, the first week was critical. He could die every minute until he fell asleep. For 5 weeks, Baekhyun was in a coma. No one could hear his angelic voice any more or the loud laugh that usually made him cough in the end for a few good seconds. His skin got even paler than it was before and no matter how much the nurses complimented his doll-looking features, his cheeks never got that shade of pink from being too shy that they used to have. 

Everyone missed the boy that turned now in the sleeping porcelain of an angel. 

It was hard to see him like this. The boy who used to be alive just to make others happy was now kept alive by a ventilator and other monitors in a white, lifeless room. The decision of disconnecting him was even harder for Luhan to make but the doctor explained that it was useless, that he is too sick and the chances to wake up were close to zero after so long in his case. 

That night, the bedroom was drowned in silence, Sehun, and Luhan sharing a tight hug as they were trying to hold back their tears. The taller hold his husband in his arms, close to his chest, trying to comfort him, if that was possible. He couldn't find the right words. After all, what could he say? What can you say when you have to make a decision like this? You can't lie to yourself for so long, thinking that he will come back but you can't take someone's life, as well. 

He remembered the day when he met Baekhyun. He was picking up Luhan for their first date at the most beautiful moment of the day, when the sun was setting down, painting the sky in the most beautiful shade of purple, so warm and romantic. The boy opened the door with a wide grin, looking at the tall man from head to toe, gasping dramatically. 'I can't believe you want my brother', he joked before turning his head towards the stairs. 'Luhaan, your too-good-to-be-true date is here, hurry up before I tell him about how messy your ears are!' he ended up laughing and then coughing, covering his mouth and bending a little due to the pain in his body. 'Are you alright?' the man asked as he got inside the house, looking for a glass of water to help the boy. 

Sehun knew from the start about Baekhyun's sickness. He met Luhan a few months ago, while he was waiting at the red light in his way to work. In front of him, two boys seemed to have a problem that everyone ignored. One of them fainted and the other one was asking for help but no one looked down at them. The colors were ready to change and that was the moment when Sehun left his car and hurried to them, lifting up the pale boy and asking the other one to follow him to the car, announcing that he will take them to the hospital. The way Luhan was so worried, so careful to his brother made Sehun's heart melt, not even talking about his sweet voice. It was the wrong moment and he knew it but he couldn't stop thinking about how kind this boy must be. He stayed with them at the hospital for a few good hours. He couldn't leave Luhan's side at that moment so they tried to talk after he stopped thanking the other for the help and offering to pay for the gas he consumed. Sehun didn't accept but he wanted to distress the younger so he joked, telling him that if he wants to pay him back, he could as well present himself properly. And this way they started to get to know each other better and in a few hours, they were talking with each other like they were good old friends. 

Since then, they kept talking and having short meetings in the park or at the coffee shop, until today when Sehun planned their first date at an expensive restaurant, something fancy to pamper his boyfriend for the night. Their plan changed when Luhan saw Baekhyun on the couch, Sehun taking care of him after. 'Want to watch a movie?', Sehun asked with a kind smile as he was taking off the jacket of his suit, suggesting that they could stay on the couch, knowing that Luhan wouldn't be comfortable leaving Baekhyun alone like this for the night. 

He loved both of them, especially the man who became his husband. And he could do anything for him to be happy and safe, the same thing applying on Baekhyun's case too. He became the guardian of two angels since that day and he swore to himself that he'd kill for them.

He protected Luhan from all the bad in the world. But he couldn't do the same for Baekhyun and tonight he was blaming himself in silence for the day when he presented the boy the devil himself dressed in a black suit. 

"Sunday.", Luhan whispered, making Sehun coming back to the real world, away from his dark thoughts. He looked down at his baby's teary eyes looking up to him. He knew what Luhan just told him but the man continued. "We'll let him go on Sunday." There were no words he could say but he could only kiss his lips and tears away, holding him even closer to his chest until they'd both fall asleep.