X

Twenty-two years ago, a blessing from heaven lighted up the Byun family. 

Baekhyun, their second son came to this world a few minutes after midnight, his crying sounding like a heavenly song for his parents and the older brother that was excited to meet the little angel his mother was holding in that morning when he visited her at the hospital. 

Baekhyun, besides being a blessing for everyone, it was also a small baby. With pale skin and pink lips that complimented his dark, puppy eyes, he was different from any other newborn you've ever seen. His parents were expecting a baby girl but they were more than happy to greet the boy in their family, even if they'd have to dress him in pink for a while until they'd get the money to buy new clothes. They were sure everything was going to be more than alright, even perfect. Because that's what their kids deserved: a perfect life. 

They planned everything: with their savings, they bought a new house. A bigger one, with a yard where the boys could play when they'll grow up and mister Byun will build a three house for them where they'd play until their mom would call them for dinner. They will go to school, the best school in their town. Luhan will go first and after two years, Baekhyun will follow his brother all the way to the high school and from there, they will build up their careers, something that would make them happy for life. 

Everything sounded so good in theory but it seems like God had another plan for them.

Soon after being born, doctors discovered why Baekhyun was so loud compared with the other babies. Why he was crying all the time and had problems sleeping and why his tests never came back with good results. 

Baekhyun, the angelic-looking baby had a rare and severe immune system disorder that wouldn't let him gain weight or height and gave him multiple infections. At first, they gave him only a few chances to live for more than six months with the treatment they prescribed, since his whole system was so weak. At the end of their report they decided that when and if he'd get stronger, he'd need a transplant of blood-forming stem cells from a healthy, compatible donator. This was the most effective treatment, the one that will save their son. From then on, they spent day and night at the hospital with him for a few months. Baekhyun's body was slowly responding to the treatment so he didn't gain too much weight on height but for now, he was peaceful. He wasn't crying as much as before and he could finally rest during the night. His parents never lost their hope, even in the hardest moments when his body was ready to give up or even when other problems appeared, like the ones attacking his small heart. They knew that Baekhyun was strong so they prayed day and night for the one who sent him from heaven to give him even more strength so he can live. 

And that someone answered their prayers. 

Six months later, Baekhyun was still alive, better than everyone would've thought. He was still small so he could have his transplant only when he was almost two years and they couldn't find a better donor than his brother, Luhan. The little boy was more than happy to help, knowing that this would mean he would finally be able to play with his little brother, after two years of waiting so he offered himself first, even if he had no idea what transplant or stem cells meant but hearing the words "save" and "Baekhyun" gave the four years old enough reasons to act up. 

-----------------------

"Happy birthday to you

Happy birthday to you

Happy birthday dear Baekkie,

Happy birthday to you!"

"Make a wish!", the lady in red dress said, holding the cake in her hands in front of a 5 years old Baekhyun, held by his father so he won't destroy the sweet dessert and distracted by his older brother who was still singing in the background while dancing around the small table with their plushies in his hands. 

It's been 3 years since Baekhyun had his transplant and now they were celebrating something that no one would've even dared to wish for when he was born: his 5 years old anniversary. Baekhyun was now a happy kid, very sensitive and loving with every little thing and person around him. He had no space for hate in his hear and everyone thought that it's the best aspect of a kid to be so pure like he was. Everyone was loving Baekkie and they took care of him, from grandparents to cousins and even neighbors, everyone loved to spend their time with the small puppy. 

----------------------

"Happy birthday to you

Happy birthday to you

Happy birthday dear Baekhyunnie...

Happy birthday to you!", is the song Luhan was whispering in Baekhyun's year during a rainy morning in May. It was a few months after their parents had the accident and Baekhyun was now back in the hospital. After the shock of losing both of them, his system started to shut down slowly so they had to keep him under observation to make sure nothing worse would happen. 

First, he lost his memory. His brain erased the moment when he got that call, announcing that their parents died and everything that happened after related to their parents' death. The only thing he could remember was how he found the note on the fridge, his mother assuring him that they'll come back in a few days, even if they never did. Pills and the help of his brother were keeping him sane or else he'd tell anyone that he's still waiting for his parents to come back because the date is still a few days after February 14, 2013, instead of a few months later.

Then, since bad news never comes alone, his heart problems came back and he couldn't be stressed about anything. No yelling, no pressure, no danger or scary things should come in contact with the 17 years boy if they didn't want him to pass out or even worse, to have a panic attack that would affect his heart.

"Make a wish?", Luhan asked, holding a strawberry cupcake with a small candle in the middle, smiling to the sick boy. 

Baekhyun could only sigh before blowing out the candle. He wished for nothing but a good life for his brother that was always there for him, no matter what. He felt guilty. Luhan had to give up to college, to his dreams, and to his own life when their parents died only to take care of him because he knew that Baekhyun had no chance by himself. 

Luhan took over their parents' restaurant since he was 19 already and managed to keep some of the old employers to help him around until they'd manage to fix their financial situation. Eventually, everyone left because he had no money to pay them and Luhan had to work alone in the restaurant while Baekhyun was helping him from time to time when he was feeling better.

--------------------------

"Happy birthday to you

Happy birthday to you

Happy birthday dear Baekkie

Happy birthday to you!

He didn't want a better life for him but for his brother because, in his opinion, he was the one who truly deserved the best life.

And in the end, he got it. The black-haired man who was singing along with Luhan this morning is now his husband. The best man for his brother, Baekhyun thought. Sehun has always been there for them but especially for Luhan, who learned that it's okay not to be strong all the time and that it's okay to cry, to let out the pain. Sehun always admired his strength but when they started this relationship, he decided that Luhan needs a break so he started to study Baekhyun's case after work and go with him to the hospital when he had to so his husband could focus on the restaurant that was working better than ever. Perhaps, it became one of the most popular restaurants in Seoul and Luhan couldn't be more than happy and thankful.

"Make a wish", Luhan whispered to him with a smile, his eyes pointing to the two candles. Baekhyun took a second to think about his wish then showed the two men a smirk that they were so used to it that they knew immediately what he will wish for. They both shouted his name but it was too late, the lights of the candles disappearing immediately.

"I can't believe he did that, even today...", Sehun groaned, closing his eyes as he let himself fall on the bed. Baekhyun was chuckling, looking at them with the same smirk still on. "We're not having a baby, Baekhyun. Stop looking at us like that and washing wishes", Luhan scolded him as he shook his head, putting the cake on the nightstand to kiss his brother. "You are our baby, right Sehun?"

Yes...they were finally happy.