VIII

It was Baekhyun's birthday. He is 22 now but for his brother and for his brother in law, Sehun, he will always be their baby. 

So, this morning they woke up earlier to prepare a surprise for him while he was sleeping until late since it was Saturday. Luhan was in the kitchen, baking the cake for Baekhyun after he finally found the perfect recipe, the one that tastes exactly like their mother's and Sehun was preparing the balloons and the presents in the living room. They choose pink and white since it was the younger's favourite combination now that he dyed his hair in light pink. 

Baekhyun begged for a change of look for weeks now and Luhan finally gave up the day before his birthday, when he found his brother and husband in the bathroom, dying each other's hair in the middle of the night, trying not to wake up the other man. "You should've seen his puppy eyes, Lu. You know I can't resist him", was Sehun's excuse while he was washing his hair to reveal the black colour that suited him better than anything. On the other side, Baekhyun's hair was a shade of baby pink that complimented his innocent features so well that Luhan couldn't stay mad, no matter how much he hated when his little brother was close to any chemicals. 

Baekhyun woke up a few hours later, around 10 AM, when the two males break inside his room, singing Happy birthday to him, his brother holding the strawberry cake in his hands while Sehun was holding big balloons, hitting them together so the candies inside of them would make some sound. The image in front of him made him smile wider than ever, clapping his hands together in excitement even if he hated to wake up because of loud noises but these two were more than welcome. 

"Make a wish", Luhan whispered to him with a smile, his eyes pointing to the two candles. Baekhyun took a second to think about his wish then showed the two men a smirk that they were so used to it that they knew immediately what he will wish for. They both shouted his name but it was too late, the lights of the candles disappearing immediately.

"I can't believe he did that, even today...", Sehun groaned, closing his eyes as he let himself fall on the bed. Baekhyun was chuckling, looking at them with the same smirk still on. "We're not having a baby, Baekhyun. Stop looking at us like that and washing wishes", Luhan scolded him as he shook his head, putting the cake on the nightstand to kiss his brother. "You are our baby, right Sehun?". The older could only nod his head, messing Baekhyun's pink looks. "The good thing is that we don't need to change your diapers", he joked before wrapping his long arms around their shoulders, kissing the top of their heads.

It was a nice image. The relationships between them were so strong and full of love that it looked like nothing can destroy what they have. Luhan and Sehun were so in love with each other and had such a mature relationship at this point that they could understand each other from a simple look only. Baekhyun appreciated their love and care and respected their private moments, knowing that they were rare since Sehun was busy with work all the time and would ask them to spend the free time together, not with him but almost every single time they refused, ending up on the couch watching some movies or series. Baekhyun wasn't going out too often. During winter he stayed inside since it was cold, only going out for his checks up and even then, Luhan or Sehun would drive him. Spring came and he had to stay inside because of the allergies, Luhan not wanting him to get sick again, knowing how sensitive he was. Now it was May and they started to go out more often but he was never alone. And they'd only use time outside the town, using Luhan's car, the one they never use for daily use so Baekhyun often forgot how the car looked or that it exists. This is how they use to spend their weekends now. On a trip outside the town but a place close to any hospital in case, the younger would feel sick. They cared for him and Baekhyun cared for both of them, knowing that they are his family and no one else was missing. 

Back to the picture of this happy family, the tight hug and the comfortable silence was destroyed by a loud ringtone that came from the pants of the man that was standing in the middle, more exactly, Sehun. His phone was ringing, sign that someone was calling him and he could only groan before standing up, announcing that he will be back and suggesting that they could get Baekhyun dressed since they rest of the group will be there in a few hours. He didn't pick his phone until he was outside the room, closing the door behind him. They could only hear his "Hello" before the rest of the conversation continued far away from Baekhyun's room.

Around 15 minutes later, Baekhyun was all dressed in a black shirt and black jeans, a simple outfit that he found comfortable but also nice enough to greet his friends today. Luhan was now in the kitchen, preparing some bowls with snacks and taking out the fridge a few drinks or adding beers inside. Baekhyun was still fixing his hair inside his room when he heard Sehun shouting from the other side of the house, inside his office. 

"I told you I can't come!", Baekhyun heard the angry voice that startled him a little, knowing that he was probably still on the phone with someone from work. But the thing is, he never heard Sehun screaming, shouting or being so angry that he had to raise his voice. Usually, when he was mad, he was silent, thinking about the situation or talking calmly with Luhan. Without knowing how or when he got there, Baekhyun was in front of his door, listening to his conversation. He couldn't hear a thing, sign that Sehun either calmed down or ended the call. He was ready to leave until he heard the man again. "You know I can't leave Luhan. Especially today." Baekhyun frowned. What was so special about today, besides his birthday? And how is this a problem for Luhan and Sehun? The frown on his face accentuated even harder when he heard Sehun's next words. "He's still affected by Baekhyun's death. I can't come with you, Chanyeol."

"I-I'm not dead..." Baekhyun could only murmur to himself, feeling a sharp pain inside his heart when he repeated the name on his lips, not knowing why he felt that way. He couldn't move, standing there, in front of the door like he was made of rock. The colour on his face disappeared, now being so pale that you could think he's ready to pass out right there. 

And maybe he would have if Sehun wasn't there to catch him after opening the door. "Baekhyun, what are you doing here?" the male asked, lifting him up in his arms.

Curiosity killed the cat.