{1.}

Growing up I would watch The Cosby Show, or  Fresh Prince of BelAir seeing a happy black family with a mother and father, a family that loved one another and often wishing my life were like that. I use to dream of having a family of my own like that one day. I wanted a family that was better than what I was brought into.

I was born to a child, a fifteen year old girl who was what my grandma would call a 'fast tail'. She would often sneak out of the house to party or do whatever it was that she wanted and leave my grandma to raise me. I was just another stereotype before I was even born. I was born to a teenager and the one who was suppose to be my 'dad' was never there  and Ramona aka 'my mom'  had guys coming in and out of the house every night once she moved out into her own place later on.

Three years after I was born she had two more kids whom she seemed to adore, but me I was the black sheep in her eyes. She often said I looked too much like my father and she hated him, which  it almost seemed like she hated me because she hated him, we never saw eye to eye. I had to provide for myself majority of the time.

That was until I had enough and moved in with my grandmama and she raised me up until I moved out at 16. I left thinking I was grown and ran into the streets that welcomed me with open arms. I've been in the streets ever since and I've never looked back.

Now I'm 26 with a big reputation around the city, any and everyone knew not to mess with me.  When I first got into the streets I was given the name ICE because they said I was cold hearted, but if you went through what I went through and seen what I've seen you would understand.

____
Shirley Cesar cassette tape played in my grandmas tape player that sat on the counter by the fridge as the woman sang the same ole songs that I've heard everyday for 26 years as I sat in my grandmas kitchen as she stood over the stove cooking. I stared at the same mint green paint on the walls as I listened to the sizzling of the bacon and eggs being cooked.

"Boy you look bad, getting all skinny you need some meat on yo bones when the last time you ate yo self a home cook meal?" Mama asked placing her hands on her wide hips.

I ran my hand down my waves in thought. "It's been a minute."

"Mhm, it's a shame you running with these fast tail girls that can't even cook you a home cooked meal."

"I know mama." I sighed, not trying to hear her lecture me.

"I'm glad you do, now find you a woman that's gone cook you a home cook meal.. I won't be here forever you know."

I stood to my feet discreetly rolling my eyes placing a soft kiss on her cheek. "You gonna be here til you 150 years old."

"Boy hush." She laughed. "Even if I did I wouldn't keep cooking for you."

"Oh It's like that mama? You gone do me like that?" I shook my head.

"Hush up, yo food almost done."

"Ight. Ima step outside real quick."

"Mhm, I know you going out to smoke, you need to stop smoking that reefer that stuff stinks." She shook her head. "I don't know what's wrong with you young people's these days.

"I'm trying to mama."

Making my way outside  I stood on the porch lighting up a blunt that I had tucked behind my ear. I sat in the rocking chair watching nothing in particular as I smoked.