{8.}

"Owee, it's a nice lil breeze out here." Mama smiled rocking in her chair.

"Yeah, it's a good lil breeze." I agreed chewing on a piece of ice."

"So grandson how's life?" Squinting my eyes I place my hand over my eyes as a shield blocking the sun as I looked in her direction. "Life's good ma, I'm doing my thing everything's coo."

"That's good. You ever think about going to college?"

"Sometimes, but I doubt I'd go."

"Why not Braylen?  You're  smart I can see you opening up your own business or a few businesses in the city. You're a good young black man, we need more like you. I just want you to know that I am  so proud of you."

I remained quiet nodding  at her words thinking about all the killings and things I've done that she didn't know about.

"Thanks."

"Mhm. Ima go in hea and fix me another glass of ice tea you want some mo?"

"Mhm." I sent her a smile as I lift my glass  in the air for her to grab.

"Baby, what's that thang in yo mouth?"

"Mama I told you it's called a grill."

"You young kids and these things." She shook her head. "Lemme go make this Tea." She said walking back into the house.

I sat on the steps of my grandma porch watched the sunset in the distance caught up in my own thoughts.

The loud bass booming vibrating throughout the neighborhood brought me out of my thoughts.

An all black car with tinted windows pulled in front of ma' s house. My hand naturally found its way toward the gun that was tucked under my shirt.

Glancing back I made sure ma wasn't anywhere near the door incase something was to go down. I could feel the mug on my face as the driver door opened. My jaw flexed as I waited until they came around to the other side of the car.

"Wasup." Removing my hand from the gun I slid my hands in between my legs, my legs sat shoulder length apart.

"Sup." I said dryly.

"Can I holla at you?"

"What you want?" I asked, looking him up and down.

"I wanna talk."

"What you call what you doin?"

He kissed his teeth looking  away swinging his hands back and forth. "Naheem baby!" Ma cheerfully called out.

"I didn't expect to see you today, how you doin baby?"

"I'm good grandma, you good?"

"I'm better now seeing both of my grandsons together." She smiled. "You want some ice tea?"

My eyes never left his as he talked to ma. "Yes ma'am."

"Alright, I'll be right back."